Wednesday, August 4, 2010

simple doesn't mean stupid

When I think of a simple person, I think of one that is ignorant, foolish, or gullible.  But what if I said Jesus was a simple man?

I went to the Kingdom Hall last night for their Tuesday night meeting.  The first hour was a book study on "Come Be My Follower," which of course is a Jehovah Witness publication.  However, the study last night was the section about what Jesus preached.

Of course most Christians can tell you that Jesus preached of his kingdom, but how was he able to do this?  By keeping the right focus.  Jesus never allowed himself to get side-tracked with life's problems (or as we call it THE WORLD).  Jehovah's Kingdom was Jesus's focus, and his message was made clear and simple.

1 Timothy 4:16 (The Message)
15-16Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will all see you mature right before their eyes! Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don't be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation. 

Do we immerse ourselves with Jehovah's teachings?  Do we get distracted due to life and worldly things?  Do we let man-made doctrines and traditions cloud our learning and teaching of scripture?  These were all questions that were discussed in full last night.

God wants our complete devotion.  How can we possibly give him our exclusive devotion if we are not living a more simple life?  And simple is NOT stupid. 

I have heard the saying, "Those who can't: Teach."  That can't be farther from the truth, at least if you are a GOOD teacher.  Teaching others is a challenge, especially when you are trying to teach them at their level.  That is what Jesus was doing.  He told stories (parables), he gave sermons, and he talked to people in a way they could relate.  He didn't lose focus of the Kingdom, and he had a clear and simple way of illustrating the Kingdom to the masses.

It was a "wow" moment when I heard the word "simple" used to describe Jesus.  I now have a very different opinion of what is simple and/or stupid.

I plan on continuing contemplation regarding the idea of simplicity in religion and in all aspects of my life.

1 comment:

matt said...

I love your post. I get those 'wow' moments all the time, even after ten years of study and surely will continue to the rest of my life.