Wednesday, July 21, 2010

healing to your navel and a refreshment to your bones

At my Bible study this morning a fantastic scripture passage was read:

Proverbs 3:5 - 10 (New World Translation)
Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understand.  In all your ways take notice of him and he himself will make your paths straight.  Do not become wise in your own eyes.  Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad.  May it become a healing to your navel and a refreshment to your bones.  Honor Jehovah with your valuable things and with the first fruits of all your produce.  Then your stores of supply will be filled with plenty and; and with new wine your own press vats will overflow.

The 5th verse of this chapter, which starts with "may it become a healing," really spoke to me.  I have heard the verse "trust in God with all your heart..." before, but the idea of having Jehovah heal your existence is very powerful indeed.  What a powerful idea: that God can heal us spiritually and physically.  And as a mom I am very aware of the connection of the navel (belly button or bebo if you are Boynton fan like I), and I quickly said to Bonnie and Norma, "OOHH!  The navel!  What is left over from the umbilical cord after a baby is born! This must mean life!"  Norma said, "I never thought about that before!"  So when Norma was saying the final prayer, she said she is blessed that she doesn't just get to teach to me, but that she learns something too!

The idea of the navel is very primitive.  We knew we were different than a fish, or a bird, or a snake early on.  We were born from our mothers womb and connected to her by the beautiful life sustaining cord.  I love finding little gems like this in scripture.  Whether you believe the Bible is inspired by God, or if you believe it is just a "book," it still contains beautiful prose.  Especially in Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. 

Do I put God first?  Probably not like I should.  Should I have a reverence for him?  Yes.  I must do my best to work on this in my journey.

No comments: