Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Antonietta Meo - venerable child

As you all know, I am not Catholic.  No, I am not one of the many converters from Catholicism to something else.  However, I did grow up Lutheran...or as Jim calls it: Catholic Lite. I did leave the Lutheran church, but have found two homes: one at the United Church of Christ and one a a non-denominational school that my girls attend.

One of the main differences between Lutheran and Catholic is this idea that saints existed and can still potentially exist.  Lutherans do not believe in saints, not even the main 12 (i.e. the disciples of Jesus).  Anyway, I have always been fascinated by saints, especially those that are relatively new.  My fascination is centered about the lives of the saints.  What makes them special.  What makes them different than another person. 

Today, in my Advent little blue book, there is a lovely write up about Antonietta Meo and her possible sainthood.  I am not the average person when I don't know about something.  I don't just take a small blurb as the totality of the information regarding that subject.  So I googled the little girl and came up with these two pretty comprehensive sites on her: Nennolina and Wikipedia

What fascinates me about this little girl is her precocious behavior with God and Christ Jesus.  Between the ages of 5 and 7, little Nennolina wrote many poems and prose and laid them at the foot of her crucifix while she was dying with bone cancer.  The Nennolina site has most of the writing there, but I wish there was a book that compiled these beautiful words from such a special little girl.  This little girl had such honest love and beauty with her relationship with Christ.  Evie tells me the little girl looks like her sister, Zoe.  And I think there is a timeless quality with this little angel of God.

I am continuing to research little Nennolina and her angelic heart.  I would love to have a book of her poetry and prose, so maybe I'll compile it myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rI have just returned from Italy, visited her tomb, and it has touched me in a way I never thought possible, I wish we had more children like her, and families like hers, what a privilege, I feel blessed just to read about her, I know she prays for us, and I pray she will be a Saint as soon as possible. What a joy and honour it gives me. Gaby