Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Surprise! It's a BOY!

As in years passed, I am currently doing an Advent Bible study.  I am a few days behind, but I suppose I should acknowledge that it's better late than never.

When I was a little girl I thought that a virgin was simply an unmarried woman.

I remember specifically this one Christmas (I was probably 10).  My Grandma made a nativity set at ceramics class, and everyone was admiring it.  My uncle and dad began to laugh, because Josephs painted eyes were very wide and surprised.  They began to make suggestive comments as to why his eyes were so wide.

It was at that time that I learned the true meaning of virgin: an unchaste woman; a woman who has not had sexual intercourse.  So no wonder Joseph's eyes were so darn wide. The baby Jesus wasn't his!  Before this I always thought Jesus was Joseph's son, and that God put the holy spirit in Mary to inhabit the baby.  So the flesh was from Joseph and spirit was from God.

The "little blue book" Advent study this year is from the book of Matthew.  Like the book of Luke, Matthew starts with the genealogy proving Jesus is the Messiah.  Interestingly enough, Jesus technically isn't from Joseph, so the lineage is pretty inconsequential. 

This study is a Catholic one, so a "theology" connection is what they attribute the long genealogy in the scripture - not DNA.  But it does leave the question, is Jesus REALLY the Messiah.   This doesn't, interestingly, mean that Jesus did not die for our sins (as all good Jews believed would be the case for the Messiah).  In fact, I just don't believe that on a DNA level (i.e. elemental) that one could say Jesus was Joseph's biological son.  But was there anything in the Bible that said this descendant of the house of David would HAVE to be blood related?

I find it interesting that the gospel of Matthew does so much to prove that Jesus is the Messiah.  I realize that the earliest Christians needed to be shown that in fact this man, Jesus, was the true Messiah spoken of in the books of the Tanakh.  However, Matthew chooses to quote Isaiah and the verse about the virgin bearing a son and naming him Emmanuel.

In Matthew, the birth narrative tells us that Mary was a virgin and became pregnant.  However, we all know she called the baby Jesus, as told to Joseph.  The Angel of the Lord tells Joseph that Mary has been impregnated by the Holy Spirit, and the baby will be called Jesus.  Emmanuel means God is with us.  But Jesus means the Lord is salvation.  I realize that the Tanakh spoke of a boy child that would be the Messiah, one that would definitely prove that God is with us.  But this Jesus of Nazareth, our salvation, is he the same man the Hebrews were waiting for?  According to scholars, Emmanuel and Jesus are similar names.  I'm not positive.  My name is Michelle.  It means, one who is like God.  What if the Angel of the Lord told Joseph that his name shall be Michael (which means the same as Michelle)?  After all, the Jehovah Witnesses will tell you the Angel Michael came on Earth to be Jesus.  Yes, leave it to a JW to really mess with your brain!

I recall a song from when I was a child.  My mother was in a chorus and at Christmas they sang this song about Jesus's many names: Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Lord of Lords, Mighty God, Emmanuel, etc.  In my research today, I found a website that lists over 100 names and titles that Jesus went by: 100 Names.  So does it matter what his name will be called?  We call him so many things.

For me Advent is a time of Hope, Peace, Joy and Love.  Devotion and meditation surrounded by the titles of the 4 Advent candles in the Advent wreath.  In past years, Advent is always the craziest time of the year, with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.  However, this year, I am focusing on the sense of inner Hope, inner Peace, inner Joy and inner Love.  So that by this time next year I can pass those principles along to others.

No comments: