Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Book Thief

Even though I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee this morning (12noon to be specific), I am in the mood to write about a book the I cannot get off my mind (a VERY good review where books are concerned).

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, was our church's book club book for the month of February.  The first couple chapters were a bit confusing, but I soon was captivated beyond belief.

I was surprised that The Book Thief is classified as a "Youth" selection.  Not that a middle schooler or high schooler would not find it enjoyable and captivating.  However, I am interested to see how many adults would be compelled to pick it up off a shelf.  It is in NO WAY a book just for youth.

The novel opens with Death narrating the story of Leisel Meminger.  Leisel brushes Death for the first time when her brother dies.  Death took an interest in Leisel, and the novel takes you on a journey through Nazi occupied Germany before, during, and after WWII.

Leisel and her brother (accompanied by their mother) are on a train to live with foster parents (Hans and Rosa Hubermann).  When Leisel loses her brother she is compelled to steal a small book, The Gravedigger's Grave Digging Handbook.  Even though she cannot read, Leisel is fascinated by the written word.

With the help of her foster father, Hans, Leisel learns how to read.

Throughout the novel, Leisel takes other books, is given books from her foster parent and a Jewish house guest (Max), and eventually writes her own story of her life.

Without giving away details nor the ending, I will say that the relationships Leisel makes on Himmel (Heaven) street are crucial to her transforming from a child into a young woman.

The written word becomes a metaphor for Leisel as well as for the Hubermann's house guest, Max.  As one that is in love with words, I was deeply moved by the strong theme: the value of literature.

However, nothing was quite as moving as the two stories that Max gives Leisel: The Standover Man and The Word Shaker.  The crude drawings were just beautiful, and I was touched to be able to read these little treasures.

Here are a couple pages from the book: to give you an idea of what I mean.








For all practical purposes I am going to purchase this book, so that I can reread it again and again.  *****

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I had heard about this one. After your glowing review, I'll be adding it to my never ending list. I hope your knee is on the mend! :-)