Thursday, February 3, 2011

People With Lots to Say

Have you ever noticed that some people say a lot.  I do not mean, those individuals that seem to have diarrhea of the mouth.  Rather those that think they are very profound. The Internet (especially social network sites) has been a huge component of feeding people with "lots to say."  A status message, information about themselves, pictures, comments, etc., ad-nauseum.  Most of the time, these people state, "I hate drama," and really they are the ones that invite drama into their lives.

I find myself laughing when on a list of favorite quotations, they quote themselves in at least two of the statements.  Of course what they stated (while most like intoxicated) has to be amongst the greatest quotes of all time.  How could it not?

A few days ago I was looking at a profile, and I was almost in tears laughing that the status message and what ensued afterward.  I realize I'm being petty here, but I cannot help but find self-indulgence disgusting.  So...without further ado, here is the status message:

What can I say??? much more.............

Of course, much more was true.  So this person commented on their own status message.  You know, the first comment under the status.

And here is where the above person lists a bunch of things about himself.  Stuff that really is personal, and honestly ridiculous to share.  I honestly think he was looking for someone to respond with - wow, you are so cool....or deep...or awesome.  The comment was a HUGE monstrous paragraph.

The truly sad thing is: I think this person really believes that he is deep.  You know, multi-layered, complicated, etc.  I can tell you that he is not.

So how do we live in a society with millions of people with lots to say?  We ignore them.  We don't feed into their calculated and delusional world.  We let them befriend someone else that wants the drama.  Because feeding them emotional food is NOT an intelligent thing to do.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I think everyone craves feedback on Facebook or their blog or whatever they put out there on the web. But you're right, there should be a line. I wish I could read the whole dissertation about how cool he is. I need some amusement :-)