Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Miracle Moment

As a teacher, one always hopes to influence or help a student reach his/her own potential.

Yesterday I was able to see a student reach this and soar beyond.

Mary Rose is a little girl I have known for most of her life.  She took Kindermusik classes when I owned the music studio in Plymouth.  She has taken piano lessons from me - on and off - for the last 6 years.  She is a very musical little girl.  She plays multiple instruments, and has a great voice.

Last year Mary Rose was diagnosed with PANDAS.  She could no longer focus for her lessons.  But it did not stop there. Her personality changed - she became a different child.  None of this stopped her family from providing the best care possible.  With the guidance of a few wonderful people, Mary Rose received a procedure called IVIG.

Before Mary Rose was diagnosed with PANDAS, we had been working diligently for a couple years on music for Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp.  She wanted to be completely prepared for the piano instruction.  After her IVIG, Mary Rose insisted that she would continue to attend Blue Lake.  I was so scared that she would not be able to handle it.  But she did!  She succeeded!

Then a month or so ago, Mary Rose wanted to start lessons again to prepare for the Instrumental Solo & Ensemble.  She was going to play the last Sonatina we were working on when I last taught her.  I also agreed to accompany her while playing the french horn.  As a 7th grader, she has five years left that she could enter the festival.  However, Mary Rose was determined to play both instruments this year.

Upon reaching Franklin High School, I was in a bad mood.  A vocal student of mine was not prepared for the Vocal Solo & Ensemble which takes place in two weeks.  I could not believe her notes and words were not memorized by this point.  I walked into the warm-up room and like a little star in the night, Mary Rose was smiling.  She had received a 2 rating on her piano song.  Which I was thrilled at.  A year ago she could not even play hands together. 

Then it was time for Mary Rose to play her french horn.  I was nervous.  But she played with such confidence.  When she finished I had tears in my eyes.  Was this the same little girl that was diagnosed with PANDAS?  The judge was so impressed at her confidence.  I think he was rather shocked that she was so accomplished without a french horn private instructor.  Frankly so was I.  You would have NEVER known this child was the same one from last spring.  Never.

No surprise to me, she received a 1 rating.  I have never been so proud of a student.  She is definitely the most courageous little girl I have ever known, and I am so excited to see what the future brings for her; musically and non-musically.

No comments: