Thursday, January 13, 2011

Praying together

I finally finished my Advent Bible study, albeit 4 days late, but at least I finished it.

The final study was about praying at home to prepare for Sunday worship.  A lovely analogy was made that caught my attention.

"...it would be like musicians who played the violin in an orchestra.  They can't show up at the concert and expect to play well if they haven't been playing their violin at home.  That is where they develop their skills and their appreciation of music."

I find the above statement to be very true, and close to my heart.  My appreciation for music did come from my home.  I was lucky enough to have a father that was in a professional wedding band.  He played every Saturday night and most Friday nights too.  When he wasn't at gigs (or teaching history or going to school for his masters), he would practice new material.  If he wasn't playing there was always a record on the hifi.  Bet everyone under 30 has NO clue what that is.

Praying is something I need to practice.  At our church, the pastor prayers are followed by a moment of silent prayer.  I find it interesting to see and hear a rustle of bodies not knowing what to do with the silence.  It's as if we don't know what to do with ourselves when given time alone with the Lord.  It is so much easier to recite the Lord's Prayer or other verses of praise.  But to have to be alone with God, and in front of others?  What if I don't pray long enough?  What if I lift my head to see who is still praying?  What if the pastor is watching me?

I do believe in the power of prayer.  I don't believe we necessarily get what we pray for.  However, I do believe that praying for guidance or peace of mind and spirit can be quite beneficial.  Recently my little family went through a lot of medical stuff before Christmas.  I asked my Facebook friends to pray for peace for my family during the holidays.  By New Years Eve (even though the medical issues were not a thing of the past), I felt lifted.  Prayer definitely is an essential part of our connection as humans.

I believe we are all connected.  I also believe prayer is a way to connect our energies together.  It is at that collective moment we are placing our energies in another individual or thought.  I definitely appreciate all the prayers sent our way over the holidays.  Thank you.

No comments: