Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An Inspiring Young Woman

I just completed what I think is the best works of Anne Frank.

Tales From the Secret Annex had some of the best short stories I have read in a long time.  My favorite, "Eva's Dream," was the subject and content of my last blog post.  Such a beautiful tale and a moral as well.

I posted a status on Facebook last week:
Anne Frank: Amazing child writer, or overrated subjugated child.  Discuss.

The reason I posted this topic of discussion, was because I was curious what others thought of Anne.  She wasn't the only Jewish child that has hidden away during the war, nor was she the only one that wrote a diary.  Here are some of the responses.  Names have been changed to protect the innocent. 

Libby: I will be interested in your responses for this topic as I don't know Anne Frank well (this now inspires me to read Diary of a Young Girl, I've wanted to read that book for some time)

Shawn: I don't think she was an amazing child writer...I think it was the content, realistic descriptions, and horror of what she wrote that makes it so intriguing. I read diary of anne frank at a young age...easy read...therefore not exactly amazing

Manda: For me it's subject matter and reading the point of view of a child during that period in history. I've read quite a few books (fiction, non-fiction, and fiction based on facts) on various aspects of the Holocaust and Anne Frank doesn't stand out as an "amazing writer" to me, perhaps more of an amazing person.

Sassa: Neither. She just kept a diary and it happened to be the one to get published. Fate.

Mi: I understood the value of her book to be the unique 1st hand perspective of an existence/experience that the regime denied happened, not the actual writing style. Accoladed for content not style. I read but didn't particularly enjoy the book when I was young, whereas I've read many essays/reports/other 1st hand summaries of similar situations that did intrigue me. Also part of the 'ooh' factor that gets people is she died. [or did i just make that last part up because i didn't like the book so much?]

Amanda: Historian's point of view: this is what primary sources look like. No different from reading through tax records in terms of style; context makes it poignant but that probably wasn't her intent in writing it! Important to discuss because these days so many people can't deal with 'boring' factual information that hasn't been pre-digested and 'spun' for a good story, hence horrible media literacy in students.

Che (me): I read Anne Frank's diary for the first time this summer, and was instantly captivated at her sincerity and honesty. However, if an adult had written the same diary I do not think we would know her name. Sessa- Her father actually published her diary. It wasn't really fate per say, but a very saddened father (who had money) who lost his daughter. Yes, Mi, she did die in concentration camp. It was a horrible tale, and I read a bit more about that in another book I checked out from the library: http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Frank-words-pictures-archives/dp/159643547X/ref=pd_sim_b_2 During the war people were told to keep diaries. It was assumed that people would want to read these diaries post war, and therefore they would be very popular. Anne loved to write, and actually rewrote her diary to be in book form. I am currently reading her other writings in a book called, "Tales From The Secret Annex." That being said. I think THE best book (graphic novel albeit) about WWII is: Maus.

Lisa: Che, if you are interested in that era. I have about 50 books on the topic, many containing personal diaries and recollections.

Kate: My retired boss had most of his family killed in the camps, he was/is a great mentor. The stories he told about how his parents and 4 uncles lived though the War and then the struggle afterward were always amazing and heart wrenching.


*****************************
To me, the above only verifies that we should know more personal stories about life.  Not just WWII, but all aspects of life.  Understanding where we have been is crucial to know where we are going.

No comments: