Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I suppose I could have been a bit more creative with a title for this long-awaited blog entry (haha), alas I will simply call it what it is: spring cleaning at the Martin house.

I am an organizer by nature, and I do enjoy seeing a space neatly arranged.  I would even trade most of my prize possessions as long as I still had my trusty label maker!  (tee hee).  Okay, I'm not that in love with it...but it really takes organization to the next level.

However, even I can hold onto items that would be better used by another.  So most often once a year (it happened in the summer last year) I go room to room and clean out what is unnecessary and make sure everything has a home.  That is my motto: everything needs a home...a PROPER home.  Not just a corner to be thrown.

This year I started a bit earlier than usual, because I was inspired by a dear friend of mine.  Her blog can be found here (in case you'd like to follow her 30 day quest): The Enchanted Schoolhouse.

Now, I must admit, I do not have the patience that she does.  But I can enjoy the fact that after a week of not reading her blog, I have completed most of the tasks on my own!  In fact, yesterday I organized spices and seasonings.  It was something I have neglected for 4 years!  How do I know it was four years ago that I embarked on the task?  Well, because I was pregnant with my Evie who will be four in May.  I am pretty sure Z-girl and I sat down and labeled all the spices around the spring of the year.

Currently I have a huge pile of clothing, shoes, stuffed toys (I swear they multiply when put into a drawer together), toys, and nick-nacks to donate.

I should be ready for a pick up by next Monday...any suggestions on where to donate?  I usually do Purple Heart or Salvation Army.  Always looking for a reputable organization to donate.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I'm at some point going to make a pilgrimage to Dress for Success so if you have any stray corporate wear you want to retire I can take it for you. I need some wire hangers (everything has to be on hangers to donate there) so let me know if you have any. I'm a Purple Heart girl because it's just so darn convenient to pop it on the front porch. I hope you're feeling better :-)