Wednesday, February 1, 2012

the 29th day

[Cue magic fairy dust]

And just like that....just like that, reader...the 29 days are complete.  It seems like the journey just began yesterday.  But I have decided I like this new way of viewing life (and those in it): as a gift.  I really enJOY giving and accepting gifts from others.  In the past I felt guilty accepting gifts, and I realize now that was very selfish of me.

Last February I had knee surgery.  A dear friend of mine, Jennifer, wanted to make me a meal.  I was too proud to accept her help.  At the time, I didn't realize how I had slighted her gift.  She wasn't able to give the gift, and my pride clouded my vision.  I thought I was being strong and self-sufficient.  However, I really hurt Jennifer's soul.  A similar situation happened last Wednesday to me.  My sister, as you might recall, went to the ER for what she thought was a gall bladder attack.  She denied me my gift of wanting to go with her.  I think it was at that moment I understood how Jennifer felt a year ago.  I have also vowed to not let people's gifts get refused.

So, what about my last few gifts?  Well, here they are!

Day #25 I went with my mom and the ladybugs to Build-A-Bear and lunch.  I purchased a karate outfit for both bears, which was the whole reason the girls knew about the bears.  Back in July or August one of Evie's classmates in karate brought in her Build-A-Bear with a cute karate outfit on.  Evie wanted that bear SOOO bad.  In fact, she mentioned the bear every single time we went to karate. The cutest part of the outfit is that it comes with a multitude of colored belts.  So as the girls move up in their studies the bears will move with them!   My mom took advantage of a day off from school on Friday to reward the girls with a bear and an outfit.  And I made sure that I was able to get them the karate costumes.  I was tickled with JOY when Evie and Zoe walked into karate in Monday with their bears adorned in the little costumes.  Evie finally was the kid with the cool toy!

Day #26 was a full teaching day, and like the ones in the past I was not quite sure what I would give.  However, my 1 o'clock student's voice was so beautiful during her warm-ups I was inspired to encourage her to audition for the Michigan Opera Theater Children's Chorus.  I was part of the adult chorus years ago, and I helped another former student get into the MOTCC last year.  I printed out information and tried to encourage my 1 o'clock student to take the next step.  I also encouraged her to look at music summer camps.  She has been taking piano lessons from me for quite some time and is also very gifted at playing as well as singing.  This morning I received a thank you email from her mother.  She was so glad I encourage her daughter.  I suppose I feel as a teacher the greatest gift you can give is inspiration to help the student grow and glow in their own way.

Day #27 Jim and I went to see a special exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts: The Faces of Jesus.  I had purchased the tickets a few weeks earlier and secured a babysitter in my parents.  Jim and I had a wonderful time looking at the artwork and just spending time together.

Day #28 was a very emotionally charged day for me.  However, I still made the effort to put in over $1 in the meter, when I was only using 10 cents of it for my trip.  I would love to some day put money in a meter and run around the corner and wait for the next person to come.  I imagine having a camera ready to shoot a picture of the person's expression when they realize they don't need to put money in the meter.  I just want to see the happy face!  Of course I can imagine, because it has happened to me in the past.

Day #29 came quickly and I was still dealing with a lot of high charged emotions in my family.  By 3pm I was unclear what my gift would be.  I said a prayer and by 3:10 my phone was ringing.  It was my neighbor calling to see if I could pick up their son, Anthony, from school and watch him until they got home.  I usually leave at 3:20 to get my ladybugs, and Evie doesn't have school on Tuesdays.  After dealing with Evie crying because she was in the middle of a game (trying to fit everything in before Zoe was picked up from school), I picked up Anthony and then swung over and got Zoe.  The kids don't go to the same school.  My ladybugs are in a private Christian school, and Anthony is at a public school.  The only problem with the pickup/babysitting gift was that I start teaching at 4pm on Tuesdays and have a sitter that I bring home from school as well.  A bit chaotic, but it all turned out okay.  My sitter was sweet enough to say that she'd watch Anthony.  This was really REALLY kind of her, because I don't pay her to sit in the first place.  We exchange services: she gets voice lessons and I get a weekly sitter.  Anyway the lesson yesterday is: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY (or wish) FOR!

Like many of the other 29 Givers, I find myself not wanting yesterday to be the end.  So, today I am starting the second round of 29 days.  Wish me luck! :)

No comments: