Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Believe in A Higher Power

or Why Do People Assume I'm a Christian?


A few weeks ago, I was asked to write a musing about perception of faith.  I have been contemplating how I would even begin such a challenge, but I definitely was excited to take the challenge.

Rooted in Youth
I always believed most children grow up and become an adaptation of what their parents are/were.  So basically if a child is raised Christian, he will grow up to become a Christian.  Said child could change denominations (i.e. Baptist to Methodist or Catholic to Lutheran), but essentially the child will continue in the traditions set by parents.

However, as I have spoken to many adults I have realized that even though many continue in the faith of their fathers, others journey elsewhere looking for something different.  And even though many claim to have no faith, or practice religion, many believe in a higher power: God.

Then Why the Assumption?
Most people perceive others as believing what they do.  I know I personally assume those around me look at the world the same way I do, or at least those to whom I surround myself.  Of course it is always very eye opening when reading a status message on Facebook how little I am often correct with those assumptions.  And it is not always such a simple line that delineates what I believe and that others are in opposition.

I also believe people inherently want to be accepted and want others to agree with their beliefs and essentially who they are inside.  As a mother I continuously go through doubt when it comes to my children.  I think as a Mom it is hard to always remain confident to the choices you make.

I remember when I was pregnant with Zoe.  Everything was so new.  I had experienced a miscarriage only a few months earlier, and yet now I was in the thick of deciding what I needed/wanted for my baby.  Would I be breast or bottle feeding?  Would I use cloth or disposable diapers?  Would I use a crib or co-sleep?  And the opinions were everywhere I went.  Every mom felt it her duty to tell me what was the correct way.  I had so much information thrown at me I became very overwhelmed.

I clearly recall this one afternoon when I was about 8 months pregnant with Zoe.  Our friend, Dave, was over helping Jim create a bathroom in the basement for my music studio.  I had just got off the phone with my sister after a conversation regarding cloth diapers.  She used them for my niece and was encouraging me to purchase a very large amount from a friend of hers who was selling them.  I felt so pressured at the time.  I didn't know what I wanted to do.  I went into the basement and began crying.  My friend, Dave, said something along the lines of, "What do you care?  Just do what works for you."  This was coming from an experienced father and a very intelligent man.  I remember completely changing the way I thought about motherhood at that point and started to enjoy it.

Bullying Into Belief
I still cannot believe the amount of pressures a parent has in this society.  Our choice to send our ladybugs to a private Christian school got looks from many others (including members of our family).  I think it had a lot to do with the fact I have always believed in faith with an open mind.  I am not what many would consider a traditional Christian woman - at least in the Titus 2 viewpoint.  But my conviction in the teachings of Jesus push me forward into a belief of loving all others.

I was bullied as a child and teen, but I believe some of the worst bullying comes as a parent.  I feel many Christians are lumped into an Evangelical-based bias, and not truly embracing the love and acceptance to which Jesus lived his life.  I do not worry what others think as much anymore, but I cannot completely admit I don't care at all.  I do.

The thing I loath the most about being a Christian is how unChristlike many self-proclaimed Christians act.  If we are all created by God, we are all His children.  And here is the kicker: EVEN THE ONES WHO ARE NOT CHRISTIAN!

Perception Once Again Is The Answer
It seems like such a cop-out, but the truth is our perception fogs how we treat others.  We assume other believe what we believe.  Therefore, if we are Christian and someone we meet is spiritual and believes in God we incorrectly assume they are a Christian as well.  Assumption is never the way one should deal with others, but unfortunately as humans we behave in many illogical ways.

Do where does this leave us?  Pretty much with a perfect opportunity to begin treating others without the blinders of perception and inherent beliefs.  Delighting in others love for each other, and not worrying or concerning oneself for what or whatnot that person believes.  Does it matter if you are a Christian and your friend is Islam?  Is it okay if you believe Jesus died for your sins, but your friend doesn't believe the Messiah has come?  Is it okay to find comfort in a church family, but have a friend who does not attend a place of worship?

I believe the answer is: YES.  Emphatically, yes!  Because we are love, we were creating in love, and the love we show and share with others ultimately defines us.  I sincerely hope that after reading this blog post some of my more narrow-minded readers might rethink how they treat others and how they perceive others to believe.

No comments: