Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Romanticizing Abuse

When I was a little girl I was in love with LOVE.

The soundtrack of my life was sprinkled with show tunes and love ballads.  I knew one day I would fall in love with a troubled man who would change with my love and support.  Why is this?  Because of Musical Theater and Soap Operas.

Soap Operas
From a very early age I have memories of watching soap operas with my mom, grandma Ardis and grandpa Ray.  Lunch began at 12pm, but at 12:30 Ryan's Hope graced the airwaves on our television screen.  It was followed a half-hour later by All My Children, then One Life to Live, and finally General Hospital.  However, All My Children was my mom's personal favorite, and oftentimes the plot lines would be discussed on the phone or in person with my grandparents.  Why?  Because this was before DVRs, VCRs, and cable television.  How could life exist without "my stories"!

Even if you have never watched an episode of All My Children, everyone has heard of Erica Kane.  By the time I began watching, she was on husband six...or was it seven at that time?  It was all about passionate encounters, and chemistry provoked kisses.  And what little girl would not be in awe of the costume changes and how men were bending over backwards to please Erica?  Well, I can tell you this: I was definitely going to be like Erica.

American Musicals
This blog was inspired by a Facebook status message from my cousin.  She had gone to see Oliver! (a musical based on Dickens's book, Oliver Twist) over the weekend and was appalled by the story line between the leading woman, Nancy, and her abusive boyfriend, Bill.  I know the musical well, and I recall the song, "As Long As He Needs Me".  The leading woman states, "in spite of what you see, I know that he needs me."  And we see him physically abusing her throughout the show.  The only "need" he has is her ability to help him steal Oliver.  But through all of his words and actions, Nancy "knows" he "needs" her and always will.

I brought up the point that there is also an abusive relationship in the musical Carousel.  Interestingly enough, the abusive character's name is also Bill (Billy).  In both cases, the woman is convinced the man is in love with her even though he shows different behavior. Although, in Carousel Bill at least alludes the fact he "could" love Julie, as heard in "If I Loved You."  Regardless, he is not a good guy; maybe one could prove he realizes his wrongs when he is in heaven.  But the point is - the story is the same.

Thoughts For Tomorrow
Yes, there are classic books, television shows, and musicals.  But in some cases I think we as an audience need to make certain classics are to be read, and not seen.  I am in no case suggesting censorship  but I do believe that directors and actors are unaware how a little girl can get captivated by a magical musical world.  This woman knows that years of failed relationships were definitely influenced by what I watched and heard. I certainly hope that I can continue the legacy of loving musicals, without having my girls experience abusive behavior as normal.

No comments: