Wednesday, November 25, 2009

am I willing to risk it?

This past week at Bible study, we discussed the parable of the pearl, from Matthew 13:45-46.

"'Or, God's kingdom is like a jewel mrchant on the hunt for excellent pearls.  Finding one that is flawless, he immediately sells everything and buys it.'"

In this parable, Jesus speaks about a mechant that doesn't care about the price of the pearl.  In "More Parables from The Backside" Kalas states, "When he hears the price, great as it is, he doesn't even try to negotiate.  He knows the pearl is worth everything the dealer asks.  Indeed, for this man who has been seeking just such perfection, the pearl is worth more than the asking price.  He must have it!"

Is the Kingdom of God a risky business these days?  The Witnesses believe so.  Bonnie will tell me of the people that think she's in a cult.  Or those that degrate what the Witnesses believe.  She said she doesn't have friends that are not Witnesses because people don't understand her beliefs.  So to the Witnesses, believing in Jehovah's Kingdom is risky.  But it is a risk they WANT to take.

Whether you believe in the Kingdom of Heaven or Jehovah's Kingdom on Earth, I believe it is a leap of faith.

I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday, via Facebook.  He is an Athiest.  I had posted an article about Darwin from NPR.  It was in regard to his "Origin of Species."  The book still is controversial today.  This friend of mine said he was surprised people didn't believe the evidence.  I wrote and said I am a Progressive Creationist.  I believe a higher power created the world, but there has also been evolution of some species due to environment and technology.  However, there isn't a fossil record that proves we all evolved from nothing, nor a single-celled animal.

My friend said that with our new fossil dating mechanisms, it is only time before all fossils are dated and evolution is completely proven beyond a doubt.  I said that it's interesting he is an Atheist, because he believes in something...maybe not a higher power, but he has faith in scientists.  I told him I would rather have faith in God than man.  Man has really screwed up things around here, why have faith in him?

But do I believe that the Kingdom of God is a great pearl?  Am I willing to be unpopular with people, and choose what feels right over what others might think is right?  God took a risk.  He risked the life of His only begotten Son for the chance that man might have the potential to receive everlasting life.  If He can take the risk, can't I?

Chaos is what Jim calls it.  Life is full of chaos.  Some people are lucky, others not so much.  I just found out this morning the son of my dear friend, Pat, is in a medical induced coma for liver failure.  Rick is only 40.  He has suffered liver problems after his time in the Gulf War, and the coma has been induced to understand why the liver is failing.  Last Thursday, baby Adrianna passed after her 10-day life with severe brain injuries suffered at birth (the baby I spoke of in my last blog).  My piano student, Samantha, lost her grandpa after routine back surgery last Friday.  He suffered a heart attack (90% blockage) after a successful back surgery.  However, he was too weak for open heart.  So during the angioplasty proceedure he passed on.  Samantha's mother now thinks the back problems were caused by his heart problems.  Chaos, or purpose?

The Witness believe God's purpose is to have His Kingdom on Earth.  Where man lives in an Earthly paradise: no sickness, living forever, no worries, etc.  Other Christians believe there is a Heaven.  A place we go upon death.

I believe in God.  I believe in a power greater than man.  I believe man was created as the care-takers of the Earth.  However, unfortunately man wants to be God.  He wants to make things better.  But if God created the Universe and said it was "good", why does man believe otherwise?  I also believe God Almighty has a purpose in this Universe of His.  What is the purpose?  Witness say it is the Kingdom.  What do I believe?  I don't know what that purpose is.  But I do believe more and more that God is a loving God.  He wants us to make the right decisions, but has given us free will to decide for ourselves.  There is not destiny for each one of us, because then free will wouldn't truly exist.  But I also believe in luck (chaos).  Of course that doesn't mean I'm not torn up over death.  I don't think I'll ever feel differently about it.

No comments: