Thursday, June 17, 2010

Admiration of Biblical Proportions

At our last meeting, Bonnie, Lori and I spent a bit of time discussing Job.  I find Job fascinating.  I suppose I compare his trials with our world today, but even trying to imagine half of what he experienced is inconceivable.

Between Joseph and Moses, Job was the only righteous man that Jehovah could find.  So in walks Satan and proceeds to tell Jehovah "you know people only worship you for the stuff you give them."  What a despicable thing to tell Jehovah.  Satan was slanderous in his statement, and Jehovah told him to test this argument on Job.  Before I studied with Bonnie, I always thought God was so awful to subject Job to the trials of Satan.  Job lost his children, his livestock, his money, and was ridden with sores covering his entire body.  Yet this man still praised God's name.

In fact, Jehovah had to prove Satan wrong.  And he knew that Job's heart was pure and obedient.  I think yesterday was the first time I saw that Jehovah knew exactly what he was doing when Satan was testing Job.  My favorite line from the scripture is Job 27:5.  "Until I expire I shall not take away my integrity!"  What a powerful and admirable statement.  Even with people questioning Job's devotion...and Satan destroying his existence, Job would die before he ruined his integrity.  That, my friends, is a remarkable man.

I know I'll never be as righteous as Job, but I want to have integrity that I would die before destroying.

No comments: