Monday, June 14, 2010

Having an Independent Spirit

Up until last Wednesday, I never thought being independent as a bad thing.  In fact, I have lived a life rich in independent decision-making and life choices.  Was I being told this wasn't right in Jehovah's eyes?  Am I as rebellious as those in Genesis?

Bonnie brought Brother Erickson last Wednesday to our Bible study.  He was a charismatic man, and full of thoughts and answers to my questions.  I told him that I always felt that free-will = independence.  To be truly able to make the choices necessary in life.  Each choice that one makes places him/her down a path of further choices.  I also believe choosing "right" has a lot to do with it.  However, according to Brother Erickson, once the new system comes there will be no evil.  There will be no sin.  So I asked, "Without evil what is the purpose of having free will?"

Brother Erickson's answer was, "We need free will to choose love."  I guess I understand.  We choose who we love.  But the thing is, I still wonder how difficult choices will be if there aren't bad decisions.  I then asked, "what will I be free to choose?"  He stated that you can choose what color to wear, who to love, and where you might go for the day.  Doesn't this seem a bit robotic?  A bit boring? I think so.

If I don't have the knowledge of making a bad choice, how will I truly appreciate when the right choice is made?  Bonnie describes it by painting a picture of poverty.  Just because I've never experienced hunger, that doesn't mean I have to experience it in order to understand it is a state I don't want to be.  However, I believe I would never know how awesome a steak tasted if I had a steak every night.  When Jim and I get our once or twice a year steak from the market, I am thrilled to have such a wonderful taste!

I also worry that if my girls never experience disappointment, how will they understand the beauty in working for what you want?

Brother Erickson illustrated independent spirits by alluding to Adam and Eve.  Satan was influential in suggesting Jehovah God did not have the right to rule over His creation.  He made Eve want to have independence away from Jehovah, to do what SHE wanted and not obeying her God's wishes.  Adam and Eve's independent spirits caused them to desire the ability to rule themselves.  This is what Satan wanted: man to pull away from Jehovah.  Brother Erickson further suggested that Satan doesn't need people to pray to him or build altars to him to achieve his desire.  He pulls people away, daily, from their creator: Jehovah God.  Independent or rebellious spirits are perfect breeding grounds for the rebel, Satan.

I'm not sure how independent I wish to be anymore.  But on the other hand, aren't I independent to choose the Bible study that the Witnesses offer?  I have always had an open heart and mind.

I will continue to pray about independence, due to my previous definition of free will: the ability to choose between right and wrong each and every day.  But keeping in mind the wonderful thoughts that Brother Erickson shared with me last week.


1 John 5:14-15 (New International Version)

14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.


Proverbs 27:11 (New International Version)


 11 Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart;
       then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always think of having an "independent spirit" as having an unteachable and unsubmissive heart. I don't think of it as the same as being an independent person. Having an independent spirit means you want to do what you want and are unwilling to submitt to God's authority or the authority God has placed over you. Having a strong will is a good thing UNLESS it takes priority of God's will. God Bless