Friday, June 4, 2010

When did sin disappear?

Whether you believe in original sin or not, the fact is: We all sin.

The other day Zoe asked Jim, "Daddy, Jesus died for our sins.  What is a sin?"  He explained to her that anytime we do something that makes God sad we have committed a sin.  She asked, "Daddy, do you sin?" He answered her, "Of course.  Everyone sins."

What I wonder is why most people make exceptions to many sins committed each day.  I am even guilty of sinning and making things less "sinful" by explaining there was a "greater" reason to lie, or cheat, etc.

Catholics go to confession where they ask their priest to absolve them of all sins committed. When I was growing up Lutheran, it was almost suggested that we keep a list in our minds of those sins we've committed throughout the week.  Lutherans (at least in my experience) did a congregational-wide absolution of sins.  I suppose as a young person I really thought that's all it took.  And maybe at that time it did.

We don't "outgrow" sin.  In fact, I think it only gets harder to avoid sin.

What happened to traditional values?  Did they vanish with the burning of the bra?  Maybe they went down with the Titanic.  Regardless, we have become a society that accepts everything.  Don't misinterpret; I'm not suggesting we should be rude to people or exclude others based on race or social status.  What I am questioning is this: should we expose our families to what is "normal" to society?  And does "being nice to others" excuse us from everything?

I spoke with my dear friend, Dana, this morning.  She said that she was so glad that she has a son.  For a daughter would come with social pressures that she was thrilled to be missing.  It's true!  The pressure to dress a certain way has only become worse in the last decade or so.  I reminded her that when we were younger, Madonna was popular with the girls.  In fact, I wore my hair like hers and had the black gel bracelets up my arm.  Vibrant colors and lace...it was everywhere.  And we sung, "Like a Virgin" as if we were singing our swan song.  We were virgins, so we knew exactly what it was like!  Is there anything different with Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana and her behavior/dress?  Not really.  But we were 11 years old when we were dressing like Madonna; not 5 like Zoe's classmates.  See...once again I am "making excuses" for our "sins".

Is it fair to not let our children get exposed to the "world"?  Is it worse to hide them away in a box, or is it better to create morals and values that are Christian and then hope they won't choose the sinful ways?  I am torn.  However, I have chosen to raise my children in a Christian environment.  This includes having them attend a Christian-based school.  However, the school only goes until 8th grade.  At that point, Jim and I will determine what is best for our girls.  Hoping their upbringing will influence their decisions in the world.

We are a society of the "feel good" religion, where no matter what you are accepted.  I was always the kid that accepted everyone and was pained to be teased and see others receiving the same treatment.  But is religion the same thing?  Are there moral standards that society expects others to live by?  I suppose.  But even killing (war), stealing (goods & services), adultery (premarital sex), and baring false witness (lying & dishonesty) is common place in our world today.  Exceptions are made left and right.  And then there is the concept of judging and forgiving.  I have said, "who are we to judge?" more than once!

"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23

I wonder if because we know everyone sins, it becomes okay to do so.  Telling ourselves, "oh well, everyone sins...it's not like I am different than anyone else."  And that's where I think our society lives - in the place of "but he/she does/has it".  My mom always distinguished lies by colors: white and black.  A white lie was one that wouldn't hurt anyone, but was necessary to use instead of the truth.  For instance, if she decided she didn't want to attend a function she would use a white lie (migraine headache) rather than state that she just wasn't interested.  She continues to do this with family and friends.  I sometimes wonder how often if happens to me.  And yes, I have been known to white lie in my day.  But is a white lie any less dishonest than a black one?  No.

In my opinion sin has not disappeared, rather society has stopped placing concern on sinful acts.  Where does this leave me and my family?  I hope with much greater awareness of sin and sinful acts.  We all sin, but I am sure there are plenty of opportunities in which we can choose not to sin and those are ones I am committed to take.

No comments: