Monday, September 3, 2012

Beauty is Deceiving

Jim and I had the pleasure of spending a day together on Saturday - without the Ladybugs.  We went shopping (I needed a few new teacher clothing  items), we got massages, and we went to a botanical garden.


The Matthaei Botanical Gardens are part of the University of Michigan.  Jim and I used to go there more often when we didn't have children, so it was very relaxing to go alone again.  We have taken the Ladybugs a few times, but to be able to focus on just the beauty of the gardens was a novelty.

It was so peaceful to be able to use my senses on something besides keeping tabs on the Ladybugs.  However, I couldn't help noticing the correlation between humans and nature: beauty is truly deceiving.  Take this pitcher plant for instance:


It is beautiful.  However, if a bug lands on the lip of the pitcher, it will slip inside the flower.  And inside the flower are digestive juices that kill the bug.  Sound like someone you know?  How often have we been drawn to an attractive person who had an unkind soul and spirit.  I know I have been deceived more than once with friendships (and romantic relationships).

Of course there some plants which build a wall (or spikes) around themselves so you won't go near them:


I have definitely been in the above situation MANY times in the past.  I am physically unable to grow spikes, but I certainly had a very think wall built around my heart.  Interestingly enough, inside that cactus is a lot of water, and the spikes deter animals from getting the water within.

Of course some people (and plants) are beautiful on the inside AND out:



I think when a person leads with his/her spirit, their external appearance becomes more beautiful.  I also find that when I realize a person has an evil soul or grotesque spirit, I no longer find them attractive.

As with any nature trip - we were able to see creatures in their element.  I really love stumbling across animals working or just hanging out.



I also thought it was pretty remarkable to see this little toad poop.  Because as we all know - EVERYBODY POOPS!


1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

The toad killed me. I've never seen one poop before. It's a first for me. :-)