Friday, August 31, 2012

A Moment To Breathe

or...What the Heck Happened to Pinterest Projects Week #2?

Okay, first of all I have to say I am completely sorry that I did not post the last three days of the Pinterest Projects week.  I had every intention to complete the week, and then...(cue blinking lights font) I GOT A NEW TEACHING JOB!

I know, reader, you are thinking, "Doesn't she already teach private lessons?"  And, yes, you are right, I do teach private lessons.  But this is a vocal music teacher position in a school - the same school the Ladybugs attend to be specific.  And when did I find out?  Tuesday.  Yes, reader, one week before the start of the school year.  I have been waiting ALL summer, and I actually had just finished my Fall household schedule a day before.

To be fair, I actually made the pasta this evening...

From Espresso & Cream - link

and it was pretty darn good.  We omitted the corn and added red pepper flakes, but all in all it was a very successful dinner.  So I suppose I did MOST of the week of Pinterest Projects.

What Happens Now?
Well I had to redo my private teaching schedule - I eliminated my Friday afternoon/evening students, I kept my Monday evenings and Tuesday afternoons/evenings and Saturday mornings/early afternoons.  However, with teaching two days at the school I will be more than overwhelmed with stuff.  Therefore, Friday was the day I eliminated.

I am diligently wrapping my brain around the fact I will be responsible for classrooms of students - which is a lot different than one-on-one lessons.  Regardless, forgive my inability to focus more on the blogs this week.

I Peter Bible Study - Weekly Update
Believe it or not, I did not complete the study this week.  However, like everything else, I was able to get through 3 days worth.  One of my favorite parts was the scripture what starts at 1 Peter 1:24:

"All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers
of the field; 
the grass withers and the flower fall, 
but the word of the Lord stand
forever."

I just love the imagery from this verse.  It is poetic and very truthful at the same time.  It moved me.

Another moving verse is found in 1 Peter 3:8:

"Finally, all of you live in harmony with one another; 
be sympathetic, love as brothers, 
be compassionate and humble."

As a musician, I love the parallels of harmony found in music and in nature.  Some of you know that my forearm tattoo says HARMONY in kanji.  I believe in order for us to survive we need to live together in harmony.  It seems like such a simple thought, but still so much hatred exists.  I have definitely been challenged with Hello Mornings, but I am confident once school starts this week I'll be able to achieve the success I need.

The Name Game
I have been Miss Michelle as a teacher for close to 20 years.  However, this school is a Christian school and children are expected to address the teachers as Mr or Miss/Mrs. So-and-so.  So now I have to use my last name.  Not my legal last name, mind you, which has a hyphen in it.  Just my Mommy last name: Martin.  I have become an adult (at least in the school setting).  I am officially Mrs. Martin.  I have this feeling a kid will call me the name and I won't respond.  We'll see how THAT goes.

Wish me luck!

No comments: