Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Grocery Stories

or Stupid Questions People Ask at the Grocery Store


I used to go grocery shopping all the time, that was before I had a music studio in Plymouth.  Then, Jim did the shopping on Tuesdays after work.  Once the kids came, he took them shopping on Saturday mornings while I taught lessons.  However, this summer I have been redesigning our schedule to make the most sense and waste the smallest amount of time possible (if that is even an attainable goal).  Anyway, the girls and I have been going on Friday mornings (which I can continue to do alone once school starts).  Due to our vacation last week, we were in desperate need to go today rather than waiting tomorrow.  And for the Nth time I was asked, "Are they twins?"  I have come to answer it many different ways - in fact, I am hoping to get ideas from readers as to what I should respond when asked this question.  Keep it clean please.

But the new comment I get at least once a visit is either, "Is this your once-a-month visit?" or a bit more direct, "Are all these groceries for ONE week?"  I am also asked how many children I have at home, I assume to add to the two mouths who are tagging along.  I suppose if I had 7 children, my loaded cart would be acceptable, maybe.  And I wonder, am I the only one who gets asked this question?  Do I purchase an abnormal amount of weekly groceries?

I will admit that some weeks we need more than others, especially when we need paper products or cleaning products.  However, I am baffled at the fact people would think my full cart is for more than a week of meals.  Jim has commented that maybe most families go out to eat multiple times during the week - breakfast at McDonalds, dinner at Wendys, etc.  And maybe that is the case, but I am still amazed at that my amount of groceries would provoke such ignorant questions.  Why is it that wanting to home cook meals for my children such an anomaly?

Why Do People Ask Questions?


I have begun to wonder why people ask those kind of questions at all.  We went to breakfast before the grocery store and a woman asked why I have Zoe's hair without bangs and Eva's hair with bangs.  I was like...um...because they LIKE their hair different.  Why would I make my kid have their hair a certain way?  REALLY?!

Maybe it is because people are curious, and maybe they are down right rude.  I don't know.  I do know that I'd like to have better come backs to the ridiculous questioning - which has only become more frequent as the girls have aged.  So I'm totally up for suggestions! :)

What strange questions have YOU been asked?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

People (and many times people I've JUST met) ask me all the time if I'm planning on having children as soon as they realized I'm married. Most of the time I say something friendly back, but sometimes I'm just really not in the mood for it.

Unknown said...

People (a lot of the time people that I've JUST met) always ask me if I'm planning on having children as soon as they find out that I'm married. Most of the time I'm polite and try to find something witty to say, but other times it's just annoying. I have always thought that is a pretty personal question, and for most people there isn't a simple answer.

Unknown said...

Hmm, well you may remember Krystie's unfortunate haircut in jr high, at the time people would ask me what my brother's name was (REALLY bad haircut). I admit there were times when I just didn't feel like getting into it (or she had made me mad) and I would say his name is Kris other times I would tell them my SISTER"S name is Krystie. One answer made Krystie feel bad and the other made the person asking it feel bad. Not a real answer but I guess I would just say "Yes they are sisters" and leave it at that.

Jahna said...

I won't even go into the down right absurd comments/questions *I* get in public. From kids I understand, from adults, not so much.

I've never been asked about my grocery habits. We Rey to do one BIG haul a month with staples between.

Honestly, I'd just give them absurd answers. "These are my youngest two, the other 6 are at home".. LOL

Ignore the idiots honey. God knows I do!

Xoxox