Sunday, August 12, 2012

Proud Parenting Moments

As a teacher, I am often asked, "what do you want your kids to be when they grow up?"  Most often when I say, "hairdresser" or "nail tech," I am met with scrunched up faces with blank looks.  I usually respond with, "Well, then I will know who to go to for my beauty needs!"  And what do they expect from a musician?  Seriously people!

But in all honesty, I want my Ladybugs to be happy, healthy, and kind to others.  I want them to treat others with respect, and choose a career that they enjoy (at least on some level).  Doctors, lawyers and scientists are great choices, but I will NOT feel like a failure as a parent if my girls choose a career choice that most think of as alternative like tattoo artist.


Be Kind, Be Like Christ


As you know, my Ladybugs attend a Christian school, where there is a cheer that is clapped, "Be Kind, Be Like Christ!"  The children can hear the rhythm of the 5 syncopated claps and immediately know the words to call back.  I am very thrilled that manners are taught in the school, because it mirrors what we teach at home.  Too often teachers in public schools are busy teaching benchmarks that kindness is overlooked.  In my humble opinion, if everyone treated each other with kindness, the bullying curriculum would be null and void.

Even with a mantra about kindness, I am always warmed when I hear my Ladybugs utter, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me" in front of others (especially when not prompted).  My children are also raised without entitlement - whereas many other children are not.  


Kindness On Vacation


It was no surprise to me that many of the children at the water park were pushing, shoving, shouting, and treating other children with disdain.  When I politely asked a tween to stop splashing me, I was answered with a snotty face and a tongue.  Yes, reader, she stuck her tongue out at me.  Of course her mother was nowhere near the pool - she was probably drinking a beer and texting on her phone.  This tween's behavior made me ultra-aware as a Mom, so much so that I would not allow my Ladybugs to play on a lily pad that was being fought over by a mean group of children.  My girls were saddened by my decision, but I told them it was because the children were not being kind, and they didn't want to get involved with that mess.

However, time and again, I watched as Zoe approached a line of children and asked if she was at the end of the line (not wanting to line cut).  Zoe also made friends wherever she went, as she passed the boring time of waiting with friendly conversation.  Quite often the child(ren) were surprised to have such kindness being offered, they seemed almost shocked.  Evie was very respectful of the lifeguards manning the different slides, and rather than push their limits by walking farther down the slide she immediately jumped off when told.  I was very proud of both girls.

I even noticed that when I helped a child or two get into (or out of) the pool, their parents were appreciative of my kindness.  I didn't treat the children with care to get accolades, but rather because we are all created in His image (no matter how nasty we can act).  At one point, I had a few children hanging around me just to talk - I wondered where their parents were (and if they ever talk to them like that).


Kindness Matters


It is hard to be kind to everyone - believe me many days I'd rather take off the smile and bring out the swearing tongue.  I read a quote earlier in the week that was falsely attributed to Mother Teresa.  However, what it said is what I loved about it (no matter who uttered them).  It is a quote I think we should ALL live by.

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, People may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank, People may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, They may be jealous; Be happy anyway. The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway. You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; It was never between you and them anyway. (This is an adaptation of the Paradoxical Commandments by Dr. Kent M. Keith)

No comments: