Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Get Your Priorities in Order

I recently signed up to start the HelloMornings Challenge on Monday, August the 20th.

Part of the process is to go through the Inspired to Action's Maximize Your Mornings handbook.  It is a program that focuses on reclaiming your mornings.  As moms we tend to focus on the house and the children and the meal planning, but what if we could spend time in the morning BEFORE the children awoke?  What if that time included exercise, daily planning, and time with the Lord?  Sounds too perfect to be true, at least with my experience of getting startled awake at 6am with a little finger poking at (or up) my nose.

At the same time I've been perusing the handbook, I received an email from The Power of Moms.  The Power of Moms is a group I'm friends with on Facebook as well.

The email had an article attachment called, "Seven Questions for Clarifying Our Top Priorities."  And I began to wonder, what would my friends answer to the question:


What Are Your Top Priorities?

I KNEW the answer of #1 SHOULD be God. But I was super impressed with what my friends answered. We are all so unique that their answers completely reflect their individuality. Here are some answers:

Karen: Supposed to put God first - but I have a tough time with that. Usually ends up being kids/job first - then husband/house, then me, then God. If I ever figure a way to turn that upside down I'll probably be a happier person. 


Amanda: I think by putting your family/husband first you are in fact putting god first....leading a christ like life to me means giving of yourself to those who need you like jesus would...thus putting god first. That's how I think of it anyways....I think being pro active about gods word is about getting out there and making a difference...would god want me studying scripture all day or out in the world sharing his love...just how I feel 

Jennifer: My kids, my husband, my family, my career/students... 

Jahna: My family, depending on who needs me when, friends, my fur babies, the communities I serve online as well as my non profit organization.. 

Kelly: Right now I am putting me first.. been a long time coming. Otherwise my partner/family then career. 

Casey: Family...Work...Friends...and last but not least ME. ;-) 

David: work,house,food, of course,with kids,they get the first extra.



The Way They Fall

So I suppose you are wondering what my priorities are (they way they CURRENTLY fall in my world).

1. MY LITTLE FAMILY: with kids USUALLY taking the front seat, but I am doing my best lately to put hubby first at least 50% of the time.

2.  MY HOME: Doing daily/weekly maintenance: Getting dishes done, laundry done, cleaning done, beds made, food on the table, etc., as well as yearly maintenance: painting, upgrades, etc.

3. MY EXTENDED FAMILY: which includes blood relations and fictive kin (click here for definition)

4. MY CAREER: teaching, writing, etc.

5. MY SPIRITUAL, EMOTIONAL, and PHYSICAL NEEDS: This is a sad but true reality.  I'm hoping that reclaiming my mornings will push this up to number 3 at least.  My fingers are crossed.

So what are your current priorities?  What do you wish were your priorities?  How can you change this?

1 comment:

Joe19 said...

Fictive kind says, "awww, I'm a priority."