Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Peculiar Purslane

or How I Cannot Stand Greens
A few weeks ago on a Wednesday evening, I was putting the Ladybugs to bed (brushing teeth, reading story, etc.) and Jim was playing one of this myriad of video games.  A little girl began looking in the front living room windows.  When Jim looked to the side, obviously because he saw someone or someTHING looking in the window, the little girl had begun to look into the front dinning room windows.  After a few minutes of letting this continue, Jim went to the door, opened it, and saw a little girl on the porch with her mother standing in our walkway.  He asked if he could help, assuming the little girl was selling something.*

The mother asked if there was a "piano lady" who lived here, to which Jim said "yes."  It was at this point he figured the little girl was perplexed because not only was there no lady nor was there a piano (our music studio including piano resides in our basement).  The little girl asked where I was (which is very forward for a little child), and Jim told them that I was busy putting the children to bed.  The little girl asked how old the children were, since it was only 8:40pm and the sun was still out, and Jim responded they were 7 and 5.  The little girl looked shocked and said, "It is really early for bed!"

Okay, at this point I'm not entirely sure how Jim kept his composure, but he did.  He gave my phone number to the woman and said she could call me the following day to get information.  

What Does This Have To Do With Greens? 

I'm getting to that.

Exactly a week later, and interestingly the day before our vacation, I was on the couch reading a legend to the Ladybugs (if you have never read the Legend of Petoskey, or The Legend of the Sleeping Bears, or quite frankly any of those Legends - you should), when there was a little girl's face in the living room front window again.  I smiled and she smiled back.  Again no knock on the door, no ringing of the doorbell - nothing.

I got up off the couch and told the Ladybugs I'd be right back (Evie of course looked really lethargic and I was thinking she'd never make the rest of the book), and I went to the front door to answer it.  It was the same woman and daughter (confirmed in the background by Jim).  I invited them into my house (I am trusting, don't judge me) and asked if I could help them.  The mother said she had called a bunch of times, but that I did not call her back.  I informed her that I did not get a message from her.  Which was true.  I did, however, get a message from a woman speaking broken English that said, "Hi.  Call me back."  Without a phone number and the word, "PRIVATE" on the caller ID I was unsure who or what that was all about.

But I digress...I told the woman that maybe it would be easier to send her an email.  I didn't want to embarrass her by suggesting she had no phone etiquette knowledge.  I got a piece of paper and pen, had her write down her email and then asked what was the little girl's name.  "My name is Jane," replied the little girl with the big brown eyes.  I told her Jane was a very pretty name.  We exchanged niceties and they both walked away smiling as they got in their car.

Not wanting to have another impromptu visit, I quickly wrote an email and attached my teaching policy and procedure document.  The document pretty much sums up what is involved with lessons, and I also offered to try and fit her into my VERY full schedule.  Little Jane seemed very motivated, and that is something every teacher likes to see in her students.

This Is A Very Long Introduction!
I know, I know...but I had to tell it...just read onward.  You are SO impatient...just kidding.

Exactly a week later and without a call nor return email, little Jane's face was once again in my front windows.  This time I was candling Evie's ears.  If you don't know what candling is: 

Don't judge me - I really believe it works if done correctly.

Anyway, I was candling Evie's ear when they came to the door.  I invited them in (I know...I know) and asked the mother if she got my email.  She said she had, but that my prices were way too high.  I must admit I did raise my rates this year after keeping them too low for the economy, but I did not share with her this information.  I did tell her that my prices reflected my knowledge and experience.  She said she could get a better price down the street, and was hoping I'd lower my rate to be more affordable.  I told her no, that I charge the rates I charge and all my other students pay me without complaint.  She said, "But my Jane wants to have YOU as her teacher!"  I explained that piano lessons are one of those things that you can choose your price just by shopping around.  I told her that you are paying a rate for the quality of the lessons, but that I completely understood her desire to have a lower rate.  

Between us reader, the rate down the street was $3 less per 30 minute lesson.  $12 less per month.  What does that equate?  Not much, and if Jane really wanted ME her mother would have paid the $12 difference. I know I would, even if it was more than I had hoped to pay.

Now I will admit that I am a sucker for sob stories, especially those that build up my ego.  However, this bartering crap was not going to happen.  I simply told her I was sorry, but I would not be able to lower my rates.  She started to leave, but turned and stated, "Yow know, green weed in your lawn is very good to eat.  In my country we eat that for calcium and good for body."  I looked and said, "Do you mean the crazy weeds that have overtaken my lawn this summer?"  To which she replied, "Yes, my grandpa grow them and we eat them.  Very good."

Jane and her mother left, but honestly I wouldn't put it past them to show up next Wednesday.  However, the fact we are growing such a succulent weed was intriguing.  That was until Jim told me it was a green.  Yuk!

I hate greens.  All greens.  Okay, not all greens.  Just mustard greens, dandelion greens, Swiss chard, collard greens, kale greens....okay, I'll stop now because I sound like that guy from Forrest Gump, Bubba.  I am sure I will get comments and emails that are filled with recipes of ways greens taste amazing.  I've tried them.  Unless they are deep fried and paired with bacon, I don't even want to try them.

After a bit of research, Jim uncovered that the succulent, calcium rich weed green is in fact purslane.  


Is your mouth water right now?  Nope, not mine either.  However, Jim "harvested" a bit for lunch today and had a salad.  He is not dead, yet.

And of course there is always this article to make you want to eat this lovely weed green even more!




*Now, I realize that now every child who comes to the door is selling something, however, in this case it would have been easier if she had.

No comments: