Sunday, December 16, 2012

Seeing a Change


Since I have not blogged in awhile, I thought it best to catch everyone up with what has been going on with Sock Monkey Mama.

Family Moments:
Back at the end of October I wrote a blog about our eldest ladybug, Zoe: Accepting Help.

Zoe has attended six therapy sessions now, with her seventh scheduled for Wednesday.  Even though Jim and I have not received any feedback from the therapist, we have seen a definite difference in Zoe.  She no longer freaks out before school, nor does she freak out before baton lessons.  We have also noticed a change in her angry behavior, and have only administered one time out in the last six weeks.  I know, right!

Zoe is a very dynamic child with a beautiful and kind heart.  She also has an amazing voice, which always makes me proud to hear.  Therapy has definitely allowed Jim and I to enjoy Zoe daily, and between helping us make dinner or work on reading with her sister we have a much less anxiety ridden child.

Career Moments:
This has definitely been a school year of challenges and balance acts on my part.  I have had my heart broken, and I have shed more than a tear or one million.

When I last spoke of my jobs, I was very careful to describe two problem situations: Where Oh Where Have I Been?

Since blogging I have severed the teaching relationship with the delinquent student, and the angry mom pulled her three children from our school.  Did the mom pull her children because of the Christmas Show?  Maybe, but I really don't care if that is the reason.  She had been bullying other teachers at the school, and her unhappiness is definitely not missed.  So I have been pretty drama free when it comes to teaching situations.  I still have one family that causes stress each week at private piano lessons.  However, they canceled lessons yesterday and will be on vacation for another 3 weeks.  I am definitely thrilled by this.

Tomorrow marks my first Christmas Program at the school.  I am nervous, but excited to show the families how these children are very capable.

Religious Moments:
Jim and I are officially completed with our commitments at our church after this Thursday.  Jim will be working the Christmas Tree lot once again on Thursday, but he is happy to finish his commitments.  I have spent so much time and energy on this church, I am remorseful.  However, I truly believe I can no longer continue with being taken for granted and not respected.

I believe I have already informed my readers that I took the pop tabs over to the Ronald McDonald House a few weeks ago.  When I was there I realized a need for other items, especially toiletries and "to-go" food items.  So I have been collecting items and will return this Friday to do another drop off.  I love the feeling of helping others, and if a small $1 bottle of shampoo does that then I am happy to provide.

I believe will be start attending different churches come the new year, so I will definitely keep you informed

Christmas Preparation:
The Ladybugs have been learning about the true meaning of Christmas this year, even though Jim and I have never participated in the obnoxious amount of commercial propaganda.  When I look at our thoughtful gifts this year, I smile.  Less to wrap, and ultimately less waste.

Zoe asked Santa for a new bike (she has only had hand-me-downs) and Evie asked Santa for a scooter.  Neither girl wanted to see Father Christmas this year (they call him Father Christmas because Auntie Dana uses that term), but they were very efficient in writing a letter to send.  Jim and I decided to buy each girl a skateboard and we will also give them a few little things in their stockings.  My folks are getting the girls each one other item from the list, and Jim's parents are getting a couple other items.  And that is it.  No sense in giving the ladybugs things they do not need for or want.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I will be writing more before the Holiest of Nights.

1 comment:

Homeschool Month by Month said...

You are a great teacher. I am looking forward to the program!