Sunday, December 2, 2012

Where Oh Where Have I Been?


The addition of my third job this fall (private teacher and mom are the other two) was supposed to be a way for me to fulfill a calling that I felt on my heart.  Teaching 8 hours a week was going to afford my girls to continue to have the education that we have come to love.  However, I pretty much spend close to 15 - 20 hours involved in the job.  This is added to the 13 private teaching hours (which is approximately 20 hours with prep time).  I'm a full time teacher, and it is wonderful, until I have to deal with individual students and their parents.

I have definitely been humbled as a teacher this fall, and my heart has been touched in so many ways.  I know I'm making a difference in the lives of students at the school.  And yet, there is always one person (or two) who really make make head spin.  Two situations came up in the last 2 weeks and both have damped my spirits.

The first was a private student who was a no call no show twice in two months.  Per the contract I have each family sign, I had to end the relationship with the student.  I was told she would be apologizing to me at her last lesson, but that never happened.  Regardless, I was paid the late tuition, and I was sad to have to end the teaching relationship.  However, being tough in business is essential in my line of work.

The other person struck last week, and she took me completely by surprise.

I have been debating as to how to share the second situation and still keep it private.  I have made the decision to not share the exact details, however, I will share the sadness I felt over the behavior of the parent.

My faith was questioned, my professional and personal time were wasted in needless emails, and my classroom was interrupted on more than one occasion by her children who were very upset at the ultimate decision.

Let me be clear: we all have convictions, and religious ones are very strong.  If I didn't agree with how my children were being taught and I was unhappy with the programs being offered at our school, I would simply look for something better suited to my family's needs and wants.  The school where my girls attend, and where I teach, is one that is going through a huge reorganization of priorities and mission.  I love what the school stands for, and I think the education is top notch.  However, a few families left in the summer to have their children attend a school that better fit their needs and wants, and I am confused why this parent did not do the same.

People like this parent are everywhere.  They are negative and they feed off of poking and prodding others.  Most often people like this are selfish and are oblivious to how their convictions affect their children.  Time for a quote:


I must say my impromptu pedicure on Friday definitely put me in a better place mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I am proud of what I am teaching these students and I know that each one will take something positive away from my classes - even if it is that Dubstep started out as Krautrock.

So tomorrow begins another week and my classes will be constructing instruments and enjoying the creativity of music.  I have a pile of boxes, tubes, glue, and tissue paper just waiting for little hands to create.  And the truth is, I cannot wait to see what happens.

No comments: