Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Giving this Christmas


This year I was warmed when I looked at the pile of our wrapped gifts compared to the donations we will be making to the Ronald McDonald House this week (items were originally going to be donated on Friday, but Zoe was ill).  The wrapped gifts were half as large as the items for donation.  I'm not trying to take the "I'm so awesome because I am teaching my children the true meaning of Christmas" road.  But I am proud that they are cherishing the few physical gifts they have received.

What about Santa?
I love the myth/historical Santa.  He is an annual visitor at our house.  He brings the Ladybugs a few fun stocking stuffers and one large item.  This year he brought a bike for Zoe (she has been using hand-me-downs since she was little) and a "big girl" flashing light scooter for Evie.  The gifts he brings are unwrapped, and were not part of the pile comparison from above.  Jim and I usually get one or two things for the girls that we wrap.  This year they got skateboards - Jim's idea.  Santa also brought the family a gift this year - a Blueray player.  Woot!  No more having to use the Xbox for DVDs!

No, there were not towering piles of wrapped surprises (like many of my Facebook friends posted this morning).  No, there were not tons of wrappings left all over the floor (a la Christmas Story).  But neither Ladybug seemed to mind.  They are thrilled.  And not overwhelmed.

What About Family Members?
I was very specific this year when I told family members gift ideas.  My grandma seemed upset at first when I told her little dollar store items were perfect (the Ladybugs call them GG gifts).  I assured her that if she wanted to also give money, that was okay.  Giving the children money allows us to purchase clothing, or other necessities.  We can even take them to museums and other venues over the two-week break that will build memories.  In my humble opinion, I don't remember a lot of things I got as a kid but I do remember special trips and times spent with family and friends.

Yesterday, the Ladybugs both received presents from my parents: Zoe got a very nice telescope (my father is over right now assembling it) and Evie got a "twin" American Girl doll.  Both girls got a couple books, and activity tables for the car from my sister.  And when Evie opened the money she cheered!  I had to laugh.  The Ladybugs thought they were rich!



Riches in Presence Rather Than Presents
And I believe this is the richest Christmas ever.  Both children have said the same thing: THIS IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!

Our Christmas program at school had a song called, "The Gift".  There is a line in it that states, "It's not about what we can give, it's what God gave to us."  And I believe this to be true.  It is not about piles of gifts or how much you spend (or save on special sales), even though the commercials illustrate a completely different theme.  To bring home a point - look at how Jesus (the Christ in Christmas) spent the first Christmas.  The stable, the hay, the simple birth.

I am thrilled to spend time together; visiting with family yesterday, visiting with more family today (the Martin side) and then spending time with my very best friend, Dana, and her son, Orson, on Wednesday.  The memories and the presence is all the presents I need.

Merry CHRISTmas Everyone!

No comments: