Sunday, November 13, 2011

Being a servant

Zoe's Bible memory verse this week is from Mark 9:35:
Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.”
Teaching your child to be humble is truly a remarkable feat.  I can only imagine what the followers of Jesus thought when he said the above.  How could one be first if he is last?

So often as a mother I put everyone ahead of me.  I have caught myself saying, "Do I look like your servant?" to my children.  But the truth is: we should only serve one leader and that is Jehovah God.  Quite often I am inspired by music, and today did not disappoint.

Following are the lyrics to a beautiful hymn that moved me during worship this morning.

The Servant Song
Will you let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I might have the grace
To let me be your servant too



We are pilgrims on the journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load


I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the the peace you long to hear


I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through


When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony
Born to all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony


Here is a beautiful audio rendition of the same hymn:


No comments: