Monday, November 7, 2011

Favorite Children's Authors

I am going to start a new blog topic, Favorite Children's Authors.

I love children's literature.  I truly enjoy books that make me laugh, or cry, or really think.  I also love the language of a beautifully written book.  To mark my first author, I am selecting Kevin Henkes.

Last Christmas, Zoe and Evie's Aunt Sarah gave them each audio books.  One of the selections was Lily's Purple Plastic Purse.  We had read this story before, as well as a few other Kevin Henkes ones.  However, hearing the stories told on the CD really are amazingly touching.

I began really paying attention to the words used in these books, and I must say that Chrysanthemum is my all time favorite!

Henkes uses words to describe the little girl and the flower.  The play on words might be missed by younger children, but I love the whimsical nature of the language.  Henkes also does not "dumb down" his words for a younger audience.  Therefore the story is told with lush words and an almost poetic-like meter.

My favorite lines in Chrysanthemum have to do with her reactions to things.  When she is upset, Henkes writes, "Chrysanthemum wilted."  And when the little mouse is happy, Henkes writes, "She blushed, she beamed, she bloomed."  Definitely a play on words in this case, but so heartwarming for the reader.

I highly recommend any of the Henkes library for children.  You will not be disappointed.

No comments: