Friday, November 18, 2011

Behind the Eyes of the Enemy

On a grey day in 1997, I entered the Tower of London with a bus load of other London tourists.  I was touring by myself, and never felt nervous.  My friend, Dana and her husband were working, and I had no problem following the signs to hop on the bus with other visitors.

However, the minute I entered The Tower grounds I became nauseous.  I assumed it was because I had not eaten lunch yet, and was starving.  But then I became unable to move further - it was almost like my body became paralyzed.  I politely excused myself and remained outside The Tower until the tour bus returned.

I returned home, inspired to read the history of London. I voraciously read history books, novels, memoirs and watched British Tele; I was hooked.   I learned about the vast amounts of people who were put to death on The Tower Square as well as in the walls (i.e. the princes).


In the last few years, I have read many books on the Holocaust.  In both historical times, people were heinously put to death by guards.  I just finished, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink.  Just for the record, I believe Maus was the best book ever written about the Holocaust.


...but, back to The Reader...

I was a bit put off by Part One.  When Michael Berg is fifteen he has hepatitis.  On his way home from school he gets very ill and he is rescued by 36-year-old Hanna Schmiz.  When Michael's health returns, he visits Hanna to thank her for her kindness.  This odd paring turns into a very physical and emotional affair.  Each time Michael visits he is to read to Hanna.  Then they participate in bathing, sexual encounters, and bicycle trips.

I suppose I was creeped out by this, because I am 36 and have male students who look up to me as a teacher.  Having sex with them is pedophilia, and totally creepy!  If it wasn't for my mother insisting I get to Part Two, I would have ended the book then and there.  I am very glad I listened to her, because the story really begins at that point.

Hanna and Michael next meet when she is on trial for a crime, refusing to defend herself.  She was a guard a a concentration camp, and Michael is a law student studying the case.  I don't want to give anything about the story away, but let me state that the ending is a bit disturbing 

On a visit to Struthof in Alsace, the nearest concentration camp, Michael encounters a driver who gives him such poignant and thoughtful incite into one who murdered people in the camps:

"No, I'm not talking about orders and obedience.  An executioner is not under orders.  He is doing his work, he doesn't hate the people he execute, he's not taking revenge on them, he's not killing them because they're in his way or threatening him or attacking him.  They're a matter of such indifference to him that he can kill them as easily as not." page 151

I was deeply affected by this above text.  My best friend, Joe, is currently working in Germany.  He visited a nearby concentration camp and we were texting about his visit.  He made the comment that he couldn't understand who would ever come up with this way of death - and who could carry the heinous crime to fruition.  After reading, The Reader, I wrote him back and told him that he needed to read the book to get a better understanding of one such person.

I do not believe this excuses the crime, but putting ourselves in the shoes of another can be extremely mind blowing.

Did I mention the book is a quick read?! :)  Happy reading to you all!

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

Sounds like an interesting read, but yeah...I think Part 1 would trip me up too based on your review. Ick.