Friday, January 4, 2013

A Stay-At Home Mom No More

or My Epiphany this Holiday Season


A little over eight years ago, I sold my music business in Plymouth, MI and began preparing for Motherhood.  My husband and I decided that the best thing would be for me to stay home full-time and teach private piano/voice lessons on the side.

As the years passed, I added more students to my part-time teaching schedule and fell into a routine of full-time Mommy to Zoe and Eva.  There were times I looked at what my working-outside-the-home friends and wondered how they were able to get everything done.  I prided myself on the ability to juggle it all.

and then a ball dropped...

Insight Slaps Me On the Face
Okay, yes, I realize that a literal ball dropped in New York (and Detroit) on New Year's Eve, but I am completely being figurative here.

I decided to spend some time over the Christmas break cleaning out closets, organizing and deep cleaning the house.  I have completely let the floors go to pot, and the bathroom, don't even ask.  However, after 11 hours of working on my home last Friday, I realized I was nowhere near to being done and something needed to change.

I know some moms from school who clean on the side.  However, I did not want to have someone I know come to my home and see my filth.  I realize it is a job for a cleaning person, but I still felt uncomfortable knowing the cleaner outside of the service relationship.  So I searched online for different companies.  My Grandpa has a person, but after giving her my information over two months ago and not receiving a call I figured I'd look elsewhere.

I searched for MollyMaids, but they don't service this area.  Then I got frustrated and did a Google search for cleaning companies in my city.  A list of possibilities were returned.  One was for HomePride Cleaning, so I filled out an online form.

I got a call on Wednesday from a mom friend at school.  This cleaning company is HER company.  I had no clue.  Honest.  I didn't know she had a cleaning company, and she's had it for 11 years.  I know...the irony behind this is rich.  However, she will not be cleaning my home, as one of her staff (or two) will be cleaning my home every other week.

The first appointment is on Monday the 21st, and I super hopeful and excited to be relieved of this task (or tasks).

I Am Not A SAHM
Yesterday morning I realized that the reason I cannot get all the household stuff done is because I am no longer a stay at home mom (SAHM).  If I consider myself one, I am completely setting myself up for failure, and thus becoming depressed over my inability to "do it all".

I am still trying to find a healthy balance between work/health/home/etc.  And I truly hope 2013 brings the balance and future incite I so desperately need.

No comments: