Monday, August 19, 2013

A snip-it from Through Her Eyes

There were three odd jobs my mom always requested of my sister and me: 1) watch for KMart or Sears commercials for a particular photo package, 2) keep an eye out for The Fuller Brush Man, and 3) look for Wandering Jehovah’s Witnesses.  My mom had us watch for commercials from Sears or KMart photo studios, and I still have the package memorized: 1 8x10, 2 5x7s, and 16 wallets.  Usually twice each year there were sales on that package, and the commercials often came during the breaks on PBS.  I remember Amyre Makupson talking about the upcoming 12 o’clock WKBD news, and then we were blessed with a commercial for the desired picture package.  It was always a fight between my sister and I to whom reached my mother first.  Quite often my mom would not have seen the commercial and thus she would not have the phone number necessary to make the appointment.  After awhile I would memorize the phone number as well, so that I could tell my mom where to call.  I truly loved commercials. Sometimes ask me to recite the Lee Press-On Nail commercial from the 1980s.  

My mother also loved having a visit from The Fuller Brush Man, as he always had new room fresheners, or special brushes, and sometimes she would sharpen her knives.  He was a novelty to my sister and I, because he pushed a cart down the block calling, “Fuller Brush Man!”  The only other service that made us known of their presence was the Ice Cream Man, however, in that case it was a rowdy rendition of “Pop Goes the Weasel.”  However, none was as mysterious as the wandering duos of Bible-carrying Jehovah’s Witnesses.  Even though they weren't selling pretty brushes, nor taking our picture, these people were fascinating just the same.

No comments: