Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Netflix Binge

Santa Clause gave our family a new Blue Ray player for Christmas, and thus we got Netflix to join in the fun.  At first Jim and I watched old Twilight Zone episodes, and had fun introducing the Ladybugs to Jem and old Spiderman episodes.  Then Jim and I enjoyed the newest season of Arrested Development, and also journeyed through seasons of Breaking Bad.  However, upon the completion of Orange is the New Black, I have found myself obsessed with Parks and Recreation.

I will admit that season one was fair if not poor in its execution, however, by season two Parks and Rec found its rhythm.  Each night we watch four episodes, give or take, and I cannot get enough of the characters.  I feel as if they are part of my world and we are all friends.  I have become a binge television viewer.

 
Binge watching seasons of television shows makes me wonder if I would be as obsessed by the series if I had to wait a week for a new episode.  Take Lost for example, I think my brain appreciated the week between episodes.  I was able to discern through the information presented, and determine what I thought was the real story.  Lost gave such fantastic cliffhangers that if I binge watched the show I may have not been as satisfied with the plot.  However, I have to state that the finale was really horrible and in no way how the series should have ended.  Breaking Bad is similar to the intensity of Lost, with its plot twists and turns and the deep character development.  After a couple of nights of watching episodes, I am compelled to watch a documentary or two.

In the same vein, I truly believe that my obsession with Parks and Rec would not be near as so if I had to wait a week between episodes.  Instant gratification is something I'm not used to, but something I am getting very comfortable with.
   
When we gave up our cable television a couple weeks ago, I was afraid that I would miss it.  Truth is, I don't.  Probably due to the fact I am currently obsessed with Parks and Rec.  However, it is so convenient and inexpensive to watch through an antenna and through a service like Netflix, I cannot imagine ever needing cable again.  

I remember the summer we got cable installed at our home.  I was eight, and my sister and I spent countless hours watching and rewatching Grease 2.  At the time, I had no idea what was being suggested in "Lets Do It For Our Country," nor did I find it repulsive that a person would have to change his identity to impress the cool girl.  I also remember watching The Incredible Shrinking Woman that same summer, as well as shows about circus acts from the 1800s.  I have been trying for years to find a youtube video of Lavinia Warren, General Tom Thumbs wife, singing "Beautiful Dreamer," but I have never been able to find that song Kelly and I remember from the show.  

That was when cable was new and exciting, and possibly fifty stations (maybe).  There was no recording, there was no pausing to go to the bathroom, and there was no rewinding to see a scene again.  I remember nine years ago when I was pregnant with Zoe, I was encouraged to get a DVR.  The DVR really did change the way I watched television, but I must say Netflix has revolutionized how a watch a television series.  No longer do I need to purchase the entire season on DVD, nor do I have to set the DVR to tape a particular show.  I simply search for the title and start the viewing process.

I wonder how many people binge watch like me.  Maybe this has been going on for years, and I am just now jumping on the bandwagon.  But, believe me, I cannot imagine watching TV any other way.

No comments: