Friday, August 30, 2013

Having the Confidence to Homeschool


I think one of the greatest hurdles I had to get over was the concern I would not be able to adequately teach my Ladybugs.  Granted I teach piano and voice, I do have some pedagogy classes under my belt, I've taught in a classroom setting, and I was always a very bright student.  However, it is difficult to transfer that into successful teaching of my own daughters.  

We are very lucky, because in Michigan there are not the same restrictions with homeschooling as there are in other states.  If you are interested in which states require what you can click here: HSLDA

I began to consider if I was any less intelligent or educated than those with degrees in teaching.  And I realized that even though I never took education classes at a college, or special pedagogy classes, or classes designed to help organize and manage a classroom, I have been teaching for over 20 years.  I have taught Kindermusik, group piano, theory, choir, music at a K thru 8 school, private piano, and vocal training.  Plus I have been the music director for multiple shows, and an accompanist for many different situations.  I have a lot of teaching experience.  Maybe I have not taught reading, or history, or astronomy, but I have taught my children about our world, and how to take care of themselves and others.  I have taught them many MANY things in their little lives, so why not add a few traditionally school taught subjects as well?

The other thing is education doesn't make a person better at their job.  I have had some really HORRIBLE teachers in my past, as I have blogged about before: CLICK HERE

The point is: I can do this.  And I am confident this is the right choice for my Ladybugs.

No comments: