Monday, April 13, 2015

40 @ 40

A couple short weeks ago, I turned 40.  Just typing this completely shakes me to the core.  When I was younger, much younger, I wanted to be older.  I was 12 and three quarters, almost 18, almost 21, almost 23...Many women seem to be upset to turn 30.  I know some who are forever 29.  However, four days before my 30th birthday I became a mother for the first time.  Thirty came and went and I didn't feel old.  Maybe I was tired, due to the lack of sleep.  But the truth is I felt empowered and thus my thirties were defined by motherhood.

However, this number 40 is an ugly reminder that I am aging.  I will no longer have a first home, first new car, first pregnancy, first trip to Europe.  No, now I can look forward to my first mammogram, my first pair of bifocals (which I should have had already), my first pair of gel shoe inserts...

So I decided that this year I will create a small bucket list of firsts that are welcomed.  I have decided to call this project:


I do hope this list is not only a way for me to stay focused on the positive, but maybe I'll also inspire others to do the same.

No comments: