Monday, April 20, 2015

Number Two - 40 @ 40



Piercings Before 40
When I was a little girl, I pretty much begged to get my ears pierced daily.  My mom was quite protective, and finally (after wearing her down) she took me to get my ears pierced when I was 8. I remember getting them, even though that was 30 years ago.  I remember that there was only one girl working that day, and they like to do both ears at once.  So, I'm sure you can image how straight (not) the woman was able to pierce.  Regardless, I remember being so proud of myself.  I remember getting the second hole piercing in 7th grade. I had been bugging my mom, but my dad took me instead. He said that all the girls at his school had the second hole. My mom wasn't pleased, but I got the holes anyway.  Years later I got a third hole in each ear and a fourth in the left.  When Jim and I first started dating I also got my left ear cartilage pierced. It really didn't hurt much at all.

Even though I liked the many holes, by about 25 I started taking the fourth and then third earrings out. I felt that the many holes were not business like. I laugh at this thought now.  So for many years now I had five earring holes in which I wear simple studs and sometimes a hanging one in the bottom holes.  

First Body Piercing
I wanted to get my eyebrow pierced for quite sometime.  I thought it would be edgy and different. However, a friend of mine told me not to bother because the hairs never grow back if you want to remove the piercing. However, for the last six years I wanted to get my nose pierced. I would have got the piercing earlier, but Jim seemed put off by it. I didn't want him to be grossed out with my appearance. But the closer 40 came, the more I realized that I desperately wanted to get one and didn't really care if it wasn't Jim's cup of tea. I'm not suggesting I don't care what he thinks of me, but I figure it has been 14 years and he hasn't left yet. A nose piercing wasn't going to change my looks in my opinion, so I told him that I wanted to get it done on my birthday.

So, I did.  It was quite an experience. The thing is, it was unlike any of my other piercings. I was relaxed, and pretty much not nervous. After all, I've had two vaginal births without pain meds, and 7 ear piercings. However, it was like what I imagine getting shot feels like. Of course, after the initial "pop" and my eye watering afterwards, there was zero pain or side effects. I did feel nauseous for about 20 minutes, but it was more an adrenaline high.  

I am very pleased at how well it has healed. Of course, I clean it a couple times a day and I take very good care of my skin so it isn't going to get forgotten. I still forget it is there sometimes, but pretty much I am pleased with it.

I posted a recent selfie on Saturday, and clearly the piercing was there. However, not one person said anything. Only 2 out of 20 students mentioned it, and I never mentioned it on social media. I wanted to just have it be part of me, not a big production. If you missed the selfie - here it is:

  

No comments: