Sunday, October 16, 2011

I want to be peculiar!

After reading Fairy Tale Mama's Review on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I knew I had to read this book!


I have been reading a whole bunch of duds lately, and honestly, I have not really wanted to blog about them.  However, this gem did not disappoint!


This is a book that would be ruined by too much information...however...


I loved the relationship between Jacob and his grandfather.  His grandfather who is a wonderful storyteller and collector of old pictures of fascinatingly peculiar children.  Jacob spends his young life listening to what he assumes are stories from his grandfather's past. It reminded me of many times I sat down with my own grandfather looking at strange old pictures of his family, and hearing stories of the past.

I was definitely hooked by the first chapter.  It felt all too real to me.  My favorite time period: World War II, a relationship with a grandfather, and strange old photographs.  It was as if this book was written especially for me!  I realize that sounds a bit narcissistic, but I really became engrossed by the plot and was VERY sad the book had to end.

When the book came to a close, I wanted more.  I wanted to be peculiar...I wanted to know these children at the orphanage.  I wanted this tale to be REAL, not just a fictitious story that I simply place on the shelf.  I had to admit, I bought the book.  I have not purchased a book in so long, as the library is my lending friend.  But I HAD to have this book.  I know, it sounds like I'm obsessed...maybe I am, just a little.

One thing I do know: there needs to be a sequel...with or without the smattering of peculiar pictures.  I do think the pictures enhanced the odd tale, but the story had me without the images.  So, Ransom Riggs, if you are out there, PLEASE continue to write about Miss Peregrine and her peculiar children!

No comments: