Monday, October 17, 2011

Who wants to be a Jr. Tattoo Artist?

It's almost too easy to add this above toy to my recent Soap Box Parenting blogs.  Most recently it was regarding two little girls and their horrified faces promoting make-up for children (click here to read).

Here is the description of the above toy, which is appropriately called: Electronic Temporary Tattoo Studio.

Awesome Tattoo Art! Kids get the look and feel of real tattoos as they create awesome, washable body art with a pen that pulsates like a professional tattoo artist's! Electronic Temporary Tattoo Studio includes wrist-cuff power pack and pen, 12 interchangeable markers and 26 rubber stencils of pictures, letters and numbers. Uses 2 AA batteries (sold separately). Ages 6+.
The tagline for the Tattoo kit is: Awesome Tattoo Art!  However, on the following page there is a beginner guitar with the tagline: Start 'em Young!  Honestly, that is how I feel about the Tattoo Kit.  Really, a pulsating pen?  Is that necessary?  Because I have 5 tattoos and none of them felt like a pulsating pen (which honestly makes me think of a vibrator).   It wasn't like getting a ton of shots, as I really despise that.  However, it also wasn't something I want to share with my children.

I am almost starting to feel like a prude.  And honestly, I really am not.  When I was in college I had 5 ear piercings in my left ear and 3 piercings in the right (when I worked in the business world I removed 3 of these to look more professional).  I have tattoos, and I'm not finished with putting art on my body.  And yes, my hair has been a variety of colors, including blue and purple.  But all the piercings (besides my first and second holes) were done after I turned 18.  What I like to consider the "experimental" time in most people's lives: college. 

I suppose, for me at least, 1st grade is not the time to be experimenting with make-up, tattoos and hair color.  Yes, I have seen 6 and 7 year olds with feathers in their hair and highlite hair extensions.  Apparently there is nothing to look forward to anymore.  I had to wait until I was 8 before I was allowed to have my ears pierced.  I had to wait until high school before I had my hair dyed.  And that was only because I put Sun-In (honestly, I cannot believe I found a link on the Internet...I mean, who still uses this crap?) on my hair, sat outside all day, and looked like a crazy clown when it was all done. 

I will admit: my parents were strict.  I had curfews that made me the "odd man out" when it came to staying out past 8pm.  I remember specifically that my friend, Joe, would say, "The streetlights are on, Michelle needs to get home!"  It was funny, but annoying at the time.  However, this was also when I was 16...not 6.

I am starting to think that I am turning into a prude in my old age.  Why are girls wearing make-up to elementary school?  Why are there so many hoochie clothing options for 5 year olds (including pants that show underwear)?  And why do kids need cell phones in grade school?  Really?  Sigh.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I'm with you mama! Prudes unite!