Sunday, October 2, 2011

Top 2 Choices

There were two winners regarding the poetry contest voting that took place:  The Grocery Store and Polka Party.

In case you don't remember which ones were which....

The Grocery Store
I stand up on my tippy toes
Up high, so I can see
The cash register and counter top
With all the groceries.
There are apples and bananas,
Avocado, eggplant too,
Lettuce, celery, and tomatoes,
Green beans and beef for stew.
Each item gets a chance to pass
Beside a small red light,
We get to choose which bags to use
I watch to my delight.
The cashier takes the money owed
Returns to us the change,
Our shopping cart is piled sky-high
Just like a mountain range.

Polka Party
Papa plays accordion,
He oom-pas all day long.
Grandma starts in clapping,
And I, I sing a song.
Dancing two-four rhythms,
The “squeezebox” bellows blow.
Then grandma takes my hands,
And ‘round and ‘round we go!

Now the big question is: Out of these two, which one stands out?

Here is the verbiage from the contest (in case you were curious what exactly I am entering the poem for):

Children's Writer Poetry Contest
Specifications: Submit a single poem, collection of poems, or verse story for children of any age, to 300 words.  Entries may be serious or humorous, and take any poetic form.  Winners will be selected based on quality of verse - including rhythm, meter, word choice, word-play, imagery, and the use of other poetic devices (thyme, alliteration, assonance, or others).  Above all, the winning entries will have appeal for young readers.

So put on your thinking caps and let me know the winning entry!

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I'm still all about the Polka Party. :-)