Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Belle and Sebastian vs. Creed

Today's topic from the Daily Spark is:

Belle and Sebastian vs. Creed
Write two paragraphs contrasting your favorite band or musician with your least favorite band or musician.

I must admit - I don't really find the above to be a stimulating creative writing topic.  Why?  Because I really don't dislike a band enough to write a few clever "trash talk" sentences, and how said band does not measure up to my listening standards.  And, yes, there is another thing; the amount of time I have to listen to my own music choices is very small.  You see reader, 49% of the time I listen to kid-directed music.  The ladybugs have heir favorites: Laurie Berkner, The Beatles, Christian worship and/or Papa Tom music (my father's obsessive collection of his recorded covers).  The other 49% of the time I listen to student-directed music.  Fur Elise and Cannon in D used to be favorites of mine, however, they have become just another melody I have to hear wrong over and over and over again. 

I'm not saying I don't like listening to these music choices, I'm simply stating that when I get my 2% opportunity I'm usually listening to a variety of songs by a variety of eclectic artists.  

Recently I was a presenter at Career Day at the Ladybugs' school.  As a music professional, I made certain to illustrate the passions and pitfalls encountered with this career choice.  I also challenged students to listen to music they've never heard before.  I encouraged them to go to a concert, see a Broadway show or even an opera on stage.  Reach outside your music comfort zone to experience other genres.  In my opinion, a true musician must have infinite respect and admiration for all forms of the expression.

This brings me back to the topic above.  If I don't have just one favorite group or band, who do I enjoy?  My likes are, but are not limited to, She & Him, The Saltines, Bread, Carol King, Ella Fitzgerald, The Beatles, Audra McDonald, Led Zeppelin, ABBA, The Carpenters, Jewel, Michael Jackson, and the Black Keys.

Who are is/are your favorite(s)?

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

Tori Amos and Aerosmith still hold a special place in my heart. My new favorite is Lindsay Pavao who is on The Voice. I think you would like her voice since you like She and Him. The artist who makes me turn the dial every time is Colbie Caillat. That Brighter Than the Sun song makes my ears bleed.