Monday, April 23, 2012

One Size (Does NOT) Fit All

I just started week two of my new program to health this morning.  I am down a little over 7 pounds, and I feel like I can do this.  Believe me, I know this is only the beginning.  With the success of one week completed, I'm noticing people giving their opinions on my choices.  Like getting married, having a baby, choosing a college or how to parent; changing a diet seems to bring out the crazies and their not so humble opinions.

For instance, the other day on Facebook, my dear friend Shelly posted that she was starting a detox in May and she was very excited.  She is under the care of a renowned holistic doctor, and I was super excited for her.  Her detox appears to be a program to get your body off sugars and refined crap.  Of course, I did post that she is excited now because she wasn't in the thick of it.  Jim and I were so flax-seeded out by that point I couldn't even imagine another flavor of food.  Of course, my comment wasn't the only one that day.  One friend of hers claimed that Weight Watchers is the only tried and true long-term diet and lifestyle solution.  Another friend claimed that Shelly was not knowledgeable enough to know what was a good diet and what was just a fad.  He also suggested that holistic doctors are quacks.  I got really angry at this guy.

Does one size fit all?  Of course not!  Does one way of parenting work for everyone?  Nope!  Then does one kind of diet work for everyone?  No, people!

What made this second friend so interesting was that he looks to be over 300 pounds from his profile picture.  Now, I'm not judging his ability to be a friend, of course his responses to Shelly's intelligence was a bit questionable.  However, what I am curious about is his expert knowledge about what is healthy.  Of course having knowledge and putting to use are two separate things completely.  Look at me.  Regardless, this MY WAY WORKS BEST CRAP made me really curious if that is even possible.  Can there be ONE method to a trimmer, slimmer and healthier body?

I honestly don't think it is possible to have one program fix every person's health issues.  I am allergic to shell fish, does this mean I should do a diet that stresses the importance of shell fish?  And what if you are a person who cannot handle lactic acid?  Should you do daily just because WW says it is essential for weight loss?

One of my biggest problems with diets (especially WW and Hungry Girl recipes) is the need to replace sweetness and savory with low fat (or no fat) and fake sweeteners.  Fake sweeteners give me migraines.  This is really a PAIN, because even sugar free gum (which would be better than crewing sugar with 37 year old teeth) has the lovely ability to make me sick.  I have also developed an allergy to shellfish (which was why I was in Urgent Care on my 36th Birthday).  There are shellfish in the current program that Jim and I are on, however, I did ask for a substitute product for shrimp (the popular shellfish to use) and I received a quick response.  So at least I was able to make this diet work for my needs.

Many diets support using microwave meals and/or prepackaged foods - which contain a lot of added sodium and the like.  I personally don't need the extra stuff, considering I have hypertension.  So a diet that recommends products like flavored yogurt with fake sugars, and baking with sugar substitute is NOT going to cut it for me.  Nor is a diet that doesn't have tasty food in it.  Rice cakes and celery is NOT my idea of a lifelong healthy style of living.

I have had weight issues my entire life.  Of course I only wish I could be 120 pounds like I was in 6th grade.  However, when the average girl was not quite 100 pounds and measured 6 inches smaller than me, I really looked like a giant, fat kid.  I also don't think it helped that I was bullied by these tiny girls who seemed to have all the boys.  I developed a pretty bad concept of food and beauty: thin = beautiful = desirable = what I want to be.

I am not entirely sure why I wasn't able to stay on WW when I got on it after having Evie.  But I truly believe it was WW open plan to dessert (fake sugared desserts) and sodium snacks that had me on a roller coaster of hunger and resent.

I cannot say if this plan will be the IT I am looking for, but I definitely know that cerebrally it makes sense.  Just hope I can get my emotions in tact.

No comments: