Friday, April 20, 2012

Do I really Need a Vacation?

Today I flipped open to another random page in the Daily Spark.  Topic 173 is:

I Need a Vacation
The University of the Bahamas has named you one of three finalists for a full scholarship to its College of Vacation and Relaxation Sciences.  The winner of the scholarship will be chosen by a review board that will read an essay from each of the three finalists.  The essay must start with the sentence, I deserve the scholarship because... Write this essay for the review board.

You would think, reader, that a topic such as this would be a delightful one in which to compose an essay.  I just had a deep conversation about "getting away" with my husband, Jim, last weekend.  What brought on this conversation you ask?  Well, it just so happens that my dear friend, Fairy Tale Mama, went on a little respite last weekend.  It was a welcome surprise from her husband, and it definitely got me thinking about the possibility of trading places at that moment.

However, as much as I feel the need to escape sometimes, I don't wish to do it alone.  I know this probably sounds insane, coming from a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), but I think I'd rather run off somewhere WITH my husband (minus the ladybugs).  Since Evie has started full-time school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I am a MUCH more relaxed Mommy.  Having that time to get things done around my home (i.e. laundry, dishes, bills, etc) ALONE, makes all the difference.

I recently changed my teaching schedule, and that has ALSO made a huge difference in how I spend my time.  I am no longer running home from picking up the ladybugs from school to teach for 4 hours, nor am I teaching ALL day on Saturday.  Spreading the teaching up into 4 days has really been the brilliant idea I needed.  And, just this week I made the decision to raise my tuition rates this fall.  I put together packages of information for my families, which include: an explanation letter, a brief bio of my qualifications, and a new procedures document to sign.  On the encouragement of my dear friend, Dana, I also have added an incentive for signing up early (i.e. May) for fall lessons.  Each family will receive a $25 voucher off tuition to be used at any point during the school year (September 2012 - May 2013).

Making these changes has taken quite a lot of thought and prayer.  I have also spent a lot of time composing the needed documents and creating the files necessary to accomplish goal.  But the rewards are going to be stellar, so I cannot wait.  I have also made peace with the idea that maybe I will not have all my students return to lessons in the fall.  I hope this doesn't happen, but I know that a small increase in tuition can sometimes be what deters people from continuing lessons.

Now onto renegotiating my finances and writing that best seller about Bonnie! :)

I suppose with time we will see what happens.

No comments: