Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Starting Here Starting Now

I haven't blogged in awhile regarding my journey to healthy living.  It's not because I forgot to mention it, or it slipped my mind.  The truth is: I became very bitter about the location I was taking classes.

When I started the journey last August 1st, I was very motivated.  I started with a personal trainer and she worked my butt off that first day.  I bought a package (not cheap I might add) of time with her.  After 10 sessions with her, I definitely noticed a change.  However, she never really discussed nutrition, nor healthy eating habits, nor what classes I should take to maintain and continue her efforts so far.  This, my dear reader, definitely peeved me; because I can read a diet book and I can blindly take exercise classes, but what I needed was a teacher.

This journey was never a cerebral one.  I am quite intelligent (*snicker*), and I can see what works and what does not.  In fact, I am still getting comments on a post regarding Weight Watchers.  It is not that I posed false information, but I laugh because if I am so SMART why am I still 100 pounds overweight.  Oh yeah...I love food.

I have done a lot of soul searching lately.  Looking at what I really want to be doing with my life - that is outside of being a wife and mother.  I am still on 10mg of Paxil a day (down still from the 20mg of last year), but I have added a blood pressure pill to the mix.  At 37 I cannot say I have great health, and I'm really not certain I could say I have good health either.  What does this say as a role model?

Okay.  So enough bashing.  I love food.  I don't love being overweight.  I do want to be healthier.  I need to do something.

Jim and I started a new program on Monday.  It is called The Digest Diet.  It is from the editor of Readers Digest, and it is very close to the same food thoughts as This is Why You're Fat, which was the book I read last summer.  However, there is a big difference in the motivation behind the books: The Digest Diet focuses on health and emotional well-being, whereas This is Why You're Fat encourages the reader to become as ripped as its author.

So I'm in day #3, and I have to say I'm not dying the way I thought I would.  The first 4 days are very sparse in the food department.  However, I am proud that I am able to eat exactly what is prescribed.  And I believe this diet to be a prescription to good health, not just a fad diet.  I need something dramatic to kick me into gear.  I cannot rely on a trainer to teach me to eat right and then not wonder why I haven't shown up to classes since January.  I need to take responsibility for my health, and turn this cycle upside down.

On another note - I sent three manuscripts out today.  One was The Tra La La Tree and the other two were The Silver Frog.  I sincerely hope someone picks up one of my ideas.  However, I have decided on a non-fiction topic as my next work: My Relationship with Bonnie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you get the program? is it a book?

find my blog said...

The Program is The Digest Diet. My husband and I are both on it.