Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sick of Being Sick

or...Did You Know Adenoids Can Grow Back?


Almost 30 years ago I had my tonsils and adenoids removed.  I am told that my adenoids were so bad it took 45 minutes to remove the tissue.  What I remember is the frequent throat infections, and the long recovery after the surgery.  I definitely did not get the copious amounts of ice cream my grandfather insisted would be given when I woke from surgery.  I was simply given a wet rag...a wet rag.  The thought of it turns my stomach today, but at the time my throat was so dry I relished in its liquid.  I then proceeded to vomit for the next 12 hours, or so it seemed like that.  What was intended to be outpatient surgery was one of the most horrific experiences of my young life.  The fact that I still remember quite a bit of the event also speaks highly of its effect on me.

How Did I Figure This Out?
I have not been feeling well.  I cancelled two routine check-ups with my doctor, due to conflicting schedule stuff.  However, I really thought something was wrong.  I made the appointment last Monday, before I received the email asking me to pull my blog.  Once I received the email, I quickly knew I would need adjustment to my anxiety prescription as well.  As the week progressed, I began to have a soreness in my throat.  I attributed it to the stress, and I worried that it was my blood pressure.  I have high blood pressure, but it is regulated with a prescription as well.

When the nurse checked me in, I told her why I originally made the appointment.  Then I shared with her the throat thing.  She took my temperature, and I had a fever.  Fantastic.  My blood pressure was perfect, so the throat thing must be an infection.  The doctor had me say, "ah," and he quickly stated that I had adenoiditis.  "But I don't have adenoids," I replied.  "They grew back," he stated.  Fantastic.  Apparently tonsils are removed as a whole unit, the adenoids are scraped.  Therefore, little seeds can remain and grow new adenoids.  Maybe they are back to being huge again.  This would explain my snoring lately.

At least I am starting to have more motivation that I have since Christmas.  I also seem to be focusing more on the positives around me.


No comments: