Tuesday, April 19, 2011

30 Days Abbreviated - #16 thru #28

and....now I will continue with my abbreviated completion of the missions described in the following book:

My inspiration (in case you read this post first) is from my dear friend, and blogger, The Enchanted Schoolhouse

Day #16: Set Up an Efficient Office Space
We lost our dedicated office when I got pregnant with Evie.  After all, I couldn't have Zoe sleeping in the same room as the baby.  So we restructured the spaces 4 years ago, and thus took our computer and desk to the basement music studio.  I lost the beautiful closet space for all the computer stuff, but I did recycle and donate quite a bit of "unneeded" items at that point.  There was SO MUCH STUFF in that closet.  Jim was using it for trash (old receipts, etc.) However, I do have an adequate filing system, and when I do taxes in January I go through, shred and reorganize the paperwork.  So I did not do this again recently.

Day #17: Organize Your Computer Life
Being married to an IT professional and a gamer, I am often amazed at all the CDs, files, books, etc. that are collected throughout the year.  I have to keep a ahead of the game, or things can get pretty crazy.  However, the filing system I have (and the limited storage space) prevents from too much to be saved.  We do have a tote in the storage area that is filled with items like power cords, keyboards, and other computer hardware.  I wish we didn't have that tote, but I have learned when to pick my battles.  I suppose if this was 4 years ago I would have more to report about the craziness that was our office.

Day #18: Go For Financial Freedom
This is a VERY important mission for us.  As I mentioned before, we do have a family budget.  However, we also have credit card debt that I hate having.  So, this year I put it in our budget to pay off most of the debt (i.e. higher monthly payments and not charging more).  I also have refused Jim to purchase unneeded items (computer parts) and to do house projects (like the bathroom) that aren't needed at this time.  My main goal this year is to get out of credit card debt.  Thankfully, even with the crazy amount of medical bills we've received, the goal is still attainable.

Day #19: Run Fewer Errands 
I have been trying to achieve this for years.  Jim grocery shops on Saturday mornings with our girls (while I teach), or Sunday if they are ill (like today).  So throughout the week I add items to a grocery list on the fridge.  I love the magnetic list pads from Target $1 bins, and quite often stock up on a few at a time.  This makes getting items a lot easier.  I also try to limit my errands to one day - one morning if I can help it. (usually on the days the girls are at school)  Of course, with physical therapy appointments this becomes a bit more difficult.  Some weeks I have no errands, and others a ton.  I do appreciate the suggestions given, and I like having an area dedicated to errands (i.e. a basket for library books).  However, finding the place without it becoming a "catch-all" is pretty difficult for me.  I do have a sock monkey bag (imagine that) that I put items in (checks to cash, mail to take to post office, copies to be made) which seems to work pretty well.  It is my errand bag, but I really think I need suggestions on how I could remember what I need to do and then do it on one day.  Hmmmm....

Day #20: Be Mindful, Savor Time
In this fast-paced world, where technology has made it almost impossible to truly "get away from it all," I find it very daunting to savor the moment.  I find that even in the bathroom, my time is not my own.  However, I do try (I say try, because I would be lying if I said this happens every day) to savor my morning coffee.  I do read emails while I am drinking the coffee, but I really like to drink my coffee this way.  I suppose if we were delivered a morning newspaper, I would sit and read it.  This is my time to zone out, to prepare for the day ahead.  I also spend time on Sunday evening to look at the week ahead.  But to savor the exact moment is hard for me...hopefully I can learn from this exercise...maybe savor the moment one time during each day....but unfortunately my mind races to the next activity, the next thing that needs to be done.

Day #21: Travel Light in Style
This mission was to create a travel center...and since we never travel anywhere, I just put all the travel books together.  We used to travel more, and I try to keep ideas in a center for ideas...but if we traveled more often I would have an area for more books.

Day #22: Keep Track of your Valuables
Jim and I have very few valuable things.  Our instruments are covered by insurance, as is my engagement/wedding ring.  When we first moved into our home (December 2002) we took pictures of all our "stuff".  I guess at that point it was important to us to know everything we had, in case of fire or natural disaster.  I really think that my girls and Jim would be the only things irreplaceable in a fire.  As much as I love the items in my hope chest, because they are memories and such, having a lock box with a picture would never EVER bring the items back.  They are irreplaceable.  So at this point I think I can safely state that this mission is complete.

Day #23: Give Vanishing Gifts
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one.  My favorite thing to give is something personal, but my favorite gifts have been dinner out with Jim, or a night away from home.  Of course an occasional pedicure/manicure is very welcomed too.  However, all the above vanish after their use.  Nothing to store, or find a place for.  I would love gifts like this for our girls, since they have so much and really don't need for anything.  Maybe a gift certificate for a class, or lessons, or a gift of taking them to a location for the day.  Regardless, I will definitely keep this in mind, because I have a bad full of books that I got for Christmas from my mother in law that I haven't even touched in two months!

Day #24: Create Hassle Free Holidays
When I read the mission I thought: sheesh, if I was a Jehovah's Witness I wouldn't even have to concern myself with this.  But, alas, I am not a Witness.  Therefore, I happen to love holidays.  I love decorating, making crafts, cooking holiday meals, traditions, etc.  I am a planner by nature.  I tend to be pretty stress free at holidays, and that is one less thing I need to simplify at this point.  This Christmas I decided to send ecards instead of the vast amounts of traditional cards.  I really thought about the amount of cards I keep after they are received.  I clip the pic of the kids from the cards, and post it on the fridge (I have a special frame).  The rest I recycle or toss.  What exactly would I do with 80-100 Christmas cards each year?  After all, we don't have that computer room closet anymore.  Okay, so this past Christmas I sent ecards.  It was so fun, and it was interactive with a picture of the girls.  I think this year I will expand on that idea...but I'm pretty sure the years of writing out tons of cards is over for me.

Day #25: Enjoy Your Photos and Memories
I enjoy photos, but I have never gotten into doing the whole scrapbooking thing.  I think to really do it right I would be frustrated to not complete the project in a weekend.  Those weekend getaways produce a few pages for the book; that would drive me nuts.  So I take pictures and oftentimes only print a few through Kodak.  I have the standard photo albums.  These albums are stored in the hope chest that I mentioned above.  However, because I have uploaded all the pictures to Kodak they could all be printed again.  Cool how that works.  I try to put the pictures into the album as soon as I receive them in the mail.  This doesn't always happen so easy, but maintaining a system is much easier than having to reinvent the wheel every time a great trip or event happens.

Day #26: Pare Down Your Garage
The calendar shows that it is spring, but here in Michigan we definitely do NOT have spring weather.  It has been cold and that doesn't make it easy to clean out the garage.  Each spring Jim and I clean out the garage.  He has taken our out door furniture (we have wicker furniture on our front porch) out, but hopefully one day this spring break it will be warm enough to work outside and straighten up the garage.  Since Jim is the "outdoor" guy, I usually wait until we can do this task together.  I would not hear the end of putting the tools in the wrong places.  And in all honesty I would have a fit if he redid my indoor organizing!

Day #27: Make Landscaping Easier
Jim is in charge of the outside.  I used to plan a ridiculous amount of annuals, but in the last 5 years we have planted more foliage that allows us to be lazy.  Since we don't live in a neighborhood that spends time and money on outdoor appearance, I don't feel my laziness is going to be noticed.  After all...our grass is not the only dead lawn in the area.  HA!

Day #28: Get Physical
Okay - am I the ONLY one that doesn't sing the song, "LETS GET PHYSICAL" when they read that?!  Okay, due to my recent knee injury and surgery I am only getting 3 days a week of exercise.  But there is stretching, there is endurance, and there is weights; so I think I'm doing pretty okay with this.  I look forward to when the weather lifts and I can start taking walks.  I have lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks on WW (according to the scale on 4/18), and even though I have a long way to go I am hopeful.  I really believe my surgery and health issues I endured earlier this year were a wake-up call to my future health.  I do believe exercise needs to be part of your daily routine to make it "work out" long term.  I applaud my dear friend and blogger, who has done a wonderful job at her mission.

1 comment:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

Ha ha! I was actually going to put a link to the Olivia Newton John video in my post. We are so in sync ;-)