Sunday, April 10, 2011

Listen to your Heart....?

My friend, Bonnie, came by on Friday afternoon to drop of the April Jehovah Witness publications.  As always, she had scriptures to share with me.  This time she shared a few that had to do with listening to the heart.  On our last meeting I had mentioned that no matter how intelligent something is presented to me, I am still compelled to have emotional connection behind another answer or ideas.  Basically, no matter what a Jehovah Witness presents (or any other mathematical calculated scripture-based church) I am apt to have a hard time accepting their "truth".  I love traditions, like holidays and parties, and I love my relationship with God.

One of the scripture verses she shared is Jeremiah 10:23:

LORD, I know that people’s lives are not their own; it is not for them to direct their steps. 

The above seems pretty logical.  After all, I cannot predict nor control the world around me.  However, the next verse (from Jeremiah 17: 9-10) bothered me:

Who can understand the human heart? There is nothing else so deceitful; it is too sick to be healed.   I, the Lord, search the minds and test the hearts of people. I treat each of them according to the way they live, according to what they do.

Does this scripture mean that I cannot trust my heart?  That is what Bonnie told me.  That our hearts deceive us all the time.  We fall in love with people, trust people, and continue to conduct ourselves in ways that are not pleasing to the Lord (i.e. celebrating holidays and not listening to the truth).  So, instead, we need to follow our heads; intelligent thinking and logical "proven" conclusions.

I must admit that the Jehovah Witnesses have compelling information that would appeal to a great deal of people looking for answers.  They have a book devoted to answering questions, and honestly on a high level it appears pretty comprehensive.  And in her defense, Bonnie is very concerned that Armageddon is coming very soon.  Since I am no longer studying she is worried that my children and I will not make it into the new system.

However, what I think Bonnie doesn't realize is that whether there is a heaven or is there will be a new Earth, I don't want to be there unless everyone I love is there too.  And if the truth is REALLY the TRUTH then I suppose I will just be dust in the Earth.

No comments: