Monday, April 18, 2011

Five Rules of Order

Due to my recent household overhaul, I was pleasantly pleased to find a 5-step list regarding clutter prevention.

I usually bring a magazine or book with me to physical therapy to occupy the time I sit getting "iced".  However, this morning I was a bit off my schedule (since it is spring break in my town), and forgot reading materials.  Most of the magazines at the therapy office are centered around hunting and other physical sports.  But I found a little gem called, "All You."  There was a section devoted to spring cleaning, and at the end of the article there was this lovely little list.  I absconded with said list, and will now share it with my readers.

THE FIVE RULES OF ORDER

1) ESTABLISH A ROUTINE
For instance, when you enter your home, put your handbag in a designated place, along with your coat, the dog's leash and other items.  Remind yourself until it becomes second nature.

2) RESET
Every time you use something, put it back in its home.  Think of this as "resetting," so it's ready the next time you want it.

3) SEE TASKS THROUGH
Unfinished chores are a major factor in a disorganized home.  Laundry isn't done until the clothes are folded, hung and put away.  Dishes aren't done until they've been dried and placed back in the cupboard.  The same is true for home-improvement projects.  Don't start a job unless you have the time and motivation to finish it.

4) CYCLE ITEMS IN AND OUT
If you bring something new into your home - from a new winter coat to a newspaper - something else can likely be thrown out or given away.

5)WORK ONE ROOM AT A TIME
Don't organize by going back and forth between areas of your home.  It will sap your energy and often result in half-finished projects.

No comments: