Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Bad Rap for Rap

...and where the heck do the Jehovah Witnesses get their article quotes from?

Last Tuesday, Evie and I went to lunch with Bonnie at Panera.  For those of my readers that don't know about Bonnie, you can click here: BONNIE

Months go by, but Bonnie never forgets to get the Jehovah Witness monthly publications in my hands.  She was super excited to get the August Awake! to me, as there was a large section about music.

From other conversations I've had with Bonnie, I know that the Witnesses do not participate in band or choir at school, nor do they actively participate in worldly music programs (i.e. all extra curricular activities non-Witness related).  It was approximately this time last year that I told Bonnie I wouldn't be who I am without music and the opportunities experienced because of my music education.  Music allows me to commune with God, it centers me, and it has provided income throughout my life.

It was a discussion regarding music that ultimately ended our weekly Bible studies.  I give Bonnie credit, she did try to pull the conversation back to other areas the devil influences, but I could not seem to get off the topic of music in a person's life.  According to Bonnie, the Witnesses are not told WHAT to listen to (i.e. a certain artist or band) because that would be controlling.  They are not controlled like other worldly Christian religions; which to me is so far from the truth.

Last evening I finally had the opportunity to read the four publications she gave me last week (two from August and two from September), and there were a few moments I couldn't stop laughing.

For those that are not aware, the Jehovah Witnesses publish two magazines for the general public each month: Awake!  and The Watchtower.  Both contain quotes from people of all ages, and simply state the person's name and age (e.g. Mark, 21).  The quotes support the statements in the article, and quite often sound like an old man (or men) trying to be relevant to the topic.  One quote that stood out last night was part of a larger story:
 "My teenage years were a blur of alcohol, drugs, and violence," says Ashley 24, "and the music that fueled it was heavy metal and rap.  The profane, hate-filled lyrics and strong, driving beat made me feel powerful.  The music also connected me to my drug-taking friends.  Rappers and heavy-metal bands were our mentors and heroes."
Why I Made Changes - Awake! August 2011 page 7
Personally I know more drug users that listened to The Beatles and Pink Floyd then P Diddy and Anthrax.  In my opinion the above quote could not have been written by a 24 year-old.  It is obviously an attempt from a Witness elder to sound hip.  Here is the last part of the story:

"Today, years later, I still feel drawn to heavy metal and rap.  So I avoid them as if they were addictive drugs.  Now I enjoy many other kinds of music, including ballads, easy rock, and some classical.  But the best thing is that I am in control."
Jim laughed as he read the end of the story and said, "Easy rock?  What is that?"  I laughed, and then replied that it probably includes songs from Hall and Oats, Huey Lewis and the News or Air Supply.  None are very current...and none are rock.  After a bit of research I found this compilation CD:


As in every aspect of life, music may contain suggestive content.  However, I do not believe that music (or video games or movies) directly cause someone to do drugs or to act malicious towards other people.

But the hilarious fabricated quotes don't end there.  Another example was in an article regarding the act of sharing information on the Internet: 

"A Christian elder spoke to me about my profile picture," Kate 21 says, "and I was grateful.  I knew that he wanted to protect my reputation."
What Should I Know About Social Networking? - Awake! August 2011 page 11
I would be completely shocked if elders are actually looking at the profiles of their flock.  Maybe they are, but I cannot imagine feeling grateful that a church elder told me to clean up my profile pic.  

And here is another one that makes me laugh even harder:

"I've had requests from old schoolmates to become their networking friend.  But I did my best in school to avoid that particular crowd; why would I want to be part of it now?" - Alex, 21. 

Schoolmates is such an old person term!  Plus, maybe the "old schoolmates" have grown up and don't participate in the "bad stuff" they were involved with in high school.  Is it really Christian behavior to exclude friends based on the past?

I am not stating that these quotes are impossible, I am merely suggesting the improbability of their validity.  The truly sad thing here is: the Witnesses actually believe there are people writing/saying these quotable phrases.  The brainwashing happens when the elders write these publications and want their flock to take heart at what is presented.  Then the flock believes what is written; after all, why would their elders lie?

Not to be confused with many other crazy statements in their publications (CLICK HERE FOR THOSE), the Witnesses lose all serious consideration on my part when they add the extra quotes from common people. 

On a sad note: Evie and I had a lovely lunch with Bonnie, which lasted only about 45 minutes.  I had nowhere to be, but when Evie had to go to the bathroom Bonnie quickly said we should end our meeting at that point.  She left very scattered and strangely.  I know she loves Evie and I, but her faith is much stronger then our relationship.

In case you were wondering, reader, the Witnesses are not supposed to associate with those not part of the truth (i.e. another Witness) nor those not having an official Bible study.  Their Bible studies aren't just door-to-door hang outs, they have to log the hours, the addresses, the names of those having a study, etc.  It is very official, and our Panera lunch meeting could not have been counted as a true Bible study; a Bible was not even present.  As much as Bonnie shines with the spirit, she must also be conflicted to have a daughter and friends that are not part of the truth.  I know I am sad that we cannot have a "normal" relationship.

2 comments:

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I think I met Bonnie this week. I have a Witness that has been regularly coming to my house and always brings a friend along. This week her friend was "Bonnie" and she matched the descriptions you've given me before. I didn't mention knowing you because I thought that might be weird. Yeah, the other lady pops by like once a week now, and Andrew and Oliver try to escape out the front door every single time.

Fairy Tale Mama said...

Oh---one more thing...I read a recent Watchtower and one of the main articles was about saving money and your finances. Instead of general advice that applies to everyone, they had some strange suggestions. There was an entire paragraph about the benefits of cloth diapering. Very odd...right up there with easy rock. ;-)