Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A strange case for an obituary

If you are an animal lover as I, having an animal obituary is not all that strange.  After all, most pets become a member of the family; securing a place of honor in hearts and homes.

I must admit, that if you asked me 13 years ago if I was a cat person I would have emphatically answered: no.  That was before Misty was adopted.  Fast forward three years and Mia enters into my heart via her owner, Jim.

The first year Mia was in my life there wasn't much of a relationship.  She spent most of her time under our bed; only seeing a different view when she ate her breakfast and dinner.  It was very upsetting, but she continued to thrive.  We hoped she would come out of her shell...literally.

When Jim and I moved into our current home almost nine years ago, Mia became a much more sociable animal. It was then she secured a very special place in my heart.  By the time I was pregnant with Zoe, Mia spent many hours lying on my belly.  I pet her and she purred the baby inside me to sleep.  Many early morning hours were spent establishing a close relationship between me and Mia.

Mia purred her way into the ladybugs' hearts as well, and she was always receptive for a pet from my students or their family members.  I honestly think she waited at the top of the basement stairs listening for her favorite students: those who pet and loved her.  Mia let the girls carry her like a baby, dress her, and brush her with a human hairbrush.

Mia was a one-in-a-million cat...

Yeah, I know many will say this about their special pet.  However, I have never met a cat who was so willing to be loved.  I have owned quite a few animals in my lifetime.  Until Misty, I never thought I would be a cat person.  However, Mia secured those emotions.  So much so, I don't think another cat will ever be able to replace her in my heart or our home.

Mia entered her peaceful slumber this afternoon, after blood tests showed a very grave condition caused by kidney failure.  I must respect death, for Mia was 17 people years and 119 kitty years.  That is a full life.  She had a full life.

But I still yearn to hold her again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of her with us. Much love and many hugs to help you through the sorrow.
<3
Marie

Fairy Tale Mama said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :-( I feel the same way about Pumpkin and Ollie---irreplaceable.