Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cloudy With a Chance of Incontinence

I'm sure most people my age remember the commercial with the women who have to "GO RIGHT NOW!"

 
I seriously think that traffic cop is Susan from Sesame Street

So when I began having leakage, I didn't think it was the same incontinence thing as these women were experiencing.  They were older and they couldn't stop going.  Incontinence is an old people problem.  That's why there are adult diapers and the like.  Right?

Apparently not.

Hello.  My name is Michelle and I suffer from incontinence.

First Visit to the Urologist 
So I had my first visit with my new Urogynecology doctor yesterday.  I thought I would be seeing the main doctor, who is an older Indian gentleman.  But after having my vitals taken, discussing my history of bladder and vaginal health, and peeing in this funnel thing that was hooked to a computer for analysis, this tall VERY good looking African American doctor entered the room.  His smile was contagious, and he was just as nice as someone could be.  He was checking things out as he asked my profession.  I told him I taught piano and voice, and he pulled his hand out and said, "NO WAY!  I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO TAKE PIANO LESSONS!  DO YOU THINK I'M TOO OLD?"  At this point, I wanted to crawl in a hole and pretend I was somewhere else.

After some small talk, the exam continued.  I was told to cough while laying down, then while sitting (mind you my legs were spread eagle this entire time).  Nothing was leaking.  Then, I was told to stand (still with my legs wide stride) and cough.  Success!  The doctor clapped and said, "Good job!"  And I stood there looking at him quite perplexed.  I had peed on the floor, and the doctor couldn't have been prouder if I won a medal of honor.  He shook my hand, told me we would talk more about piano lessons, and left the room.  The nurse gave me paperwork, a diary to keep a pee log, a container to collect my pee, and info on two procedures I will need to have.  It was so much information, I pretty much blanked out.  But I did catch on that having incontinence affects 1 in 4 women, and can occur in her 30s.

I am not thrilled with getting invasive procedures, and truthfully I prolonged this doctor visit because of them. However, if 2013 is going to be a year I get healthier, I must take care of this obvious problem.

I don't want to go in graphic detail, but the procedures are: Urogynamics and Cystoscopy.  

1 comment:

Jahna said...

Many prayers and hugs. Call me if you need someone to talk to about surgery. You know I've been there.

You can do this :)