Sunday, May 19, 2013

Intake and Outtake

aka What I Did For Mother's Day

Along with the two procedures, I was asked to keep a record of my liquid intake as well as my liquid outtake.

The 24-Hour Journal
The first journal was a detailed 24 hour record of what I consumed (i.e. beverage type and amount), as well as what I produced as I emptied my bladder and any leakage in between.  In order to calculate the amount of liquid I was eliminating when going to the bathroom, I had to urinate in a container that fit between the toilet and the toilet seat.  I tried to make this journal a creative experience, by doodling all over the paper.  The ladybugs got involved too.  On a personal note: it was very cumbersome to do a #2 while catching the residual urine that always comes.

Why did I choose Mother's Day?  Well, truth be told I am so busy that I knew I would be home all day that particular day.  After all, you cannot walk into a store, restaurant, or friend's/family member's home with a voiding container.  I also believe becoming a Mother has changed the way my body works.  Therefore, this whole process is most likely a direct result of two vaginal births.  Anyway, the 24 hour test was completed last Sunday.
This is what I used to do the calculations.

The 3-Day Diary
The next step in the journal process was to chart how often I emptied my bladder (E), had a stress leak (S), or had a leak due to urge (U).  My data were all E's and S's.  This time the amount and type of beverage was not necessary.  I have to admit that it wasn't as cumbersome as the 24-hour test, but there were points where I would tell myself "don't forget to log that".

The biggest piece of information, I believe the 3-day log uncovered, was that when I was teaching (i.e. sitting mostly) I had no "accidents".  Therefore, the stress induced incontinence diagnoses made complete sense.

This journal sat next to the toilet (on the sink) for 3 days.  During that time, the ladybugs drew pictures and wrote nice little words like "mommy" and "love".  They knew it was a journal, and in their mind that is what one would do in a journal.  It was awfully sweet.

The Next Step
Tomorrow (Monday) I get the Cyscostomy test performed.  This is the one with the camera.  I am quite nervous, but know there is a light at the end of this.

No comments: